Fate of Tramontana

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Willallison, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Vospers built Tamontana to the design of Peter du Cane in 1962, and she won that years Cowes-Torquay offshore race. Indeed, I think she may have been the last boat that featured variable deadrise to win the race. The deep-v designs of Bertram, Levi etc proved unbeatable from '63 onwards.

Way back in 1990 I was doing as all self-respecting Aussie's do - tramping about Europe in campervan. A few mile's SSE of a little spot in Italy named Anzio, I spotted the decaying remains of this maginificent beast.

The paint job on the topsides suggest that she may have been conscripted for use by the navy or similar.

I often wondered what ever became of her....whether she was eventually allowed simply fade away on the side of the road, or, hopefully, if someone else spotted her and restored her to her former glory...

Attached Files:

2. Adam Younger

Adam Younger www.adamyoungerdesign.com

Must be so many of the great old race boats lying around - but guess it does not look too good for Tramontana's survival chance if that was back in 1990.

Should be a lot of interesting hulls in Italy or have they just been scrapped?

3. CRUSADER

CRUSADER Mike James

Tramontana

We have contacted one of our Italian subscibers Black Tornado to see if he can discover her final fate, such a bloody waste, I have just posted article on Classic offshore re her history then this appears on my e-mail.it is so so depressing.

Mike
    THUNDERBOLT

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.