Engine in search of a boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mrgl, Jun 3, 2004.

1. mrgl

mrgl New Member

Through a fluke I ended up with a 130 hp BMW Marine Engine and Outdrive. :) The engine is new in the box and I really like the idea of using it on something beautiful like a mahogany gentleman's runabout. The engine and outdrive weighs 570 lbs. Thing is, that the classics in that genera are all inboards with the engine quite far forward. So my feeling is that adapting one would really screw up the weights and balance. Boat plans for reproductions, like those from Glen-L, are also for mid-hull engines so they won't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas about where how or what I should be doing with this motor. Should I give up the idea of a classic mahogany boat? Would I be crazy to try and design something myself? Are there plans out there for mahagany runabouts with engine-outdrive configurations?

Thanks, Mark

2. bigdodge

bigdodge New Member

engine looking for a boat

Mark
    You need to contact a company called Golden Era Classics www.goldeneraclassics.com These guys design and build mahogany replicas or you can ask for a custom design. Their prices are very reasonable and their boats are the toast of lake winapasuke or any of the fresh water lakes in the US
    Dodge

3. yipster

yipster designer

it must be more than 10 years back i saw those BMW Z drives (not new at that time) do recall the marineman tempering my enthousiasm mentioning things like availability, parts and such things...
    wouldnt call a new engine in the box a fluke though!

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am not familiar with BMW drives, didn't even know they made them. Howwever, if they are like most drives, you can add a jackshaft and install the engine more forward.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I have designed a 20's era 33' gentleman's runabout design that uses a 160 HP Mercruiser and Alpha drive. It has a curved windshield and what I call a Turtleback stern (sort of a torpedo stern, flattened a bit) that houses the engine and drive under two lids, one for the engine and the other covering the top of the drive. She's 7' in beam and draws little with the drive raised, has seating for a helmsman and navigator behind the windshield, a flip back jump seat, pedestal table and curved seating on the front of the engine enclosure.

There are two hull forms, one being a single step, the other a more conventional chined hull. As designed, a molded hull, but could be striped or other if truly interested.

She's long and lean and a fun boat to drive, though turns can be hairy at WOT in the stepped hull (the only one built to this design so far) and the judge who contracted this boat wants more power. He wants a V8 and 280 HP, but I've been hemming and hawing at the thought of near doubling the power in a pinched stern, stepped hull craft, with an inexperienced driver at the helm.

See attached, then contact me through the message service and I'll send more info and some pictures to tease you with.

Attached Files:

6. rlangtry

rlangtry New Member

Inexpensive BMW

Mark,
    The 4 cylinder B130 with the Z-drive was most popular in the UK. Biggest builder using BMW was Plancraft. They are still in business. In North America GlasPly on the west coast was a big user of BMW. Thye mostly used the 6 cylinder B220 model and the Mark ll outdrive. These engines appear to have been thrifty on gas and lasted 12-15 years with minimum mailntenance. With some experience in the Wooden boat market, I'd tend to look at putting it into a GlasPly. The Wooden runabouts tender to be inboards, not stern drive installations. The Plancraft 'Sabre' is a beauty. One Swiss owner wanted his old B130 installed in a New boat. Apparently there is a Mercedes Executive in Europe with a B130 in a wooden boat that is beyond belief.
    Good luck Mark. Sounds like a great adventure.
    p.s. Plancraft offered an 'M' Power version with 'M' Power coloured upholstery.
    Rich Langtry

7. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

I would find a 60's runabout that already uses an outdrive and swap it.There are salvage yards where these boats can be found for 150 dollars.You can dress them up with mahogany trim and accesories(like the first MFG boats,fiberglass classic lapstrake looking hull,wooden interior and trim).You wont have much money in it and you know the motor is good and will last.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.