Engine and drive unit compatability

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by MaxPower, May 25, 2004.

1. MaxPower

MaxPower New Member

Hi everyone.

I am a certified composite technician and work in the automotive industry making light weight racing bodies. I Have no experiece building boats and am going to attempt my first power/ performance boat in 5-6 months. I have a few questions before i begin my research. I am planning on using an existing 22ft boat(My friends) as my plug.

Are their ways to restore the hull as to provide a perfect plug for the perfect mold and at the same time maintain if not improve the appearance of my friends fiberglass boat? The hull is in fair shape with only nicks and scratches.

Can I sand the existing gelcoat to 2000 grit and buff the hull without fear of ruining the hull?

Are there ways to resurface the exterior of the laminate(Fiberglass Hull) if cosmetic damage does occur?

How about engine and drive units?

What engines are good for marine specific use?

What power to weight ratio is optimum for efficiency and performance?

Can I convert automotive engines for marine use and find drive units that will be compatable?

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

MaxPower

2. RealityBoatCo

RealityBoatCo Junior Member

Your gonna get some flak about the first part of your question but maybe they will go easy on you since you are new to boats. Yes it can be done. But there will be alot of people responding as to why you shouldn't. There are a hundred diferen't answers to the rest of your questions. If anyone can get past the first part.

3. MaxPower

MaxPower New Member

I am asking these questions because i do not know the answers. If i seem ignorant
    to what may be common knowlege then i apologize. I am enthusiastic about the idea of building my own boat more for the thrill of building it myself than just to have a boat. I appreciate the reply but i was looking for some advice not a critique of my question.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yeah, stealing someone's design is looked badly upon in this site. It is the designer's or boatbuilder's property. I think you'll be better off paying a designer to avoid major mistakes. Also, you'll be building a boat legally.

5. RealityBoatCo

RealityBoatCo Junior Member

Was not meant to be that way just tring to warn you as to what will be coming. ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.