Dream Engines

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Portager, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Thought I ask every body what their dream engine is.

Mine would be the DynaCam http://www.dynacam.com. It is a 12 cylinder engine with 6 double ended pistons. The engine blocks halves look like the revolver part of six shot revolver pistol. The engine doesn't have piston rods, but instead the pistons have rollers that push on a cam surface attached to the crack shaft.

The reason I think the DynaCam is cool is the performance specifications http://www.dynacam.com/Product/Specifications/specifications.html The double ended diesel produces 200 HP with a weight of only 265 lbs dry weight and it is 13 inches in diameter and 40 inches long. This is a developmental engine but they have built prototypes (at $50,000 each) They are tooling up for production and expect to get the production cost down.

For comparison a 200 HP Yanmar such as the 4LHA-DTP http://www.yanmar.com/marine/pdfs2/4LHP.pdf weighs 805 lbs and the dimensions are 30" high, 27" wide and 41.7" long.

Another thing, the Yanmar is a 4 cylinder, while the DynaCam is a 12 cylinder. The reports I have read say that it purrs like a kitten and idles very slow. Theoretically the DynaCam idling at 400 RPM should run as smooth as the Yanmar at 1,200 RPM. O baby, come to Daddy!

I have sent DynaCam an e-mail to see when they expect to have production engines, but I think it will be years before they are competitive, but a guy can still dream.

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

2. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

I'll take 3 with a side order of fries!!! :)

3. Portager

Portager Senior Member

That will be $150,001.59 unless you live in California in which case I'll have to charge you sales tax, in which case it will be $161,626.71. Unless you want to jumbo size. :D

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

4. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

$236.861.91 Including freight to Alaska and a 7 week lead time!
    I would like a pair of Detriot 16v -92TTA's in an old wood tug
    ;) 8Kts

5. lockhughes

lockhughes ElectricGuy

Mike - how `bout those ZOCHE aero-diesels?

http://www.zoche.de/

Very sexy. No word on a marinized version yet
    Lock

6. Portager

Portager Senior Member

8konts;

Your dreaming if you think you could get a DynaCam in 7 weeks. Maybe 7 years!

"I would like a pair of Detriot 16v -92TTA's in an old wood tug"

I see you point, cost and reliability over performance, but too much DD will make you deaf and I'm not a fan of wood boats. Too much maintenance. I'd thought you'd go for something heavier and slower like a John Deere - Lugger or a Gardner. I could drool over a Gardner all day and it would still keep running.

Lock;

The Zoche Aero-diesel is very cool. Great power to weight ratio plus turbo charged and supercharged is very sexy, but I think I'd leave the Zoche in the airplane. The two cycle isn't very efficient with fuel and I suspect it would be hard to make it pass environmental requirements. In addition, the radial design does not package well in boats (for that matter it was always a problem in aircraft also, too much frontal area, but I digress). Finally, air cooled engines are hard to keep cool in boats. Liquid is a much more efficient cooling medium than air and it is difficult to pump lots of air through most boat engine rooms.

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Gardner, definitely a Gardner. An 8LW in a 80' power dory would be about right.

I remember the first time I started one of these, it was in an old fishpacker and had been ignored all winter. I climbed down into the engine room and tried the starter button without much hope. I was raised with jimmies and cats, I expected explosions. The starter whined, the engine went tick, tick, tick, tick.. and so on. If I hadn't noticed the flickering gauges I would have left my finger on that button. I took my finger off the button, the starter stoped whining, it was quiet except for the tick, tick, from the gardner. It was running, no vibration, no explosions, just tick, tick, tick. Up in the wheelhouse you couldn't even hear it. When I goosed the throttle it just went tick, tick, faster. I spent a very relaxed and quiet season on that boat.

For real power I would choose a pair of Italian CRM 18 D/SS BR2's. With 18 cylinders in a W config. and 3 turbos she puts out 2100 HP @ 2120 RPM and with a ZF BW365 gear weighes 2500 kg. Available in a non-magnetic version!

All the best, Tad

8. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

I cant get on their site now..... Can any of you guys?

9. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Mike, do you know what gear they are using??

10. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Dynacam

I assume you're referring to Dynacam. Their site seams to be down. Until it comes back up, you can do a search on Google and open the cached page.

I think any installation would require custom gearing.

I have reconsidered the using the Dynacam for Portager. I'll try and post a detailed explaination as soon as I get a chance. (Gotta visit my daughter(s) and pack for another business trip first.)

Regards;
    Mike Schooley

11. yipster

yipster designer

guess seatek would be my deadwish :D
    lockhughes, i like those radial zoche diesels !

12. yipster

yipster designer

13. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I'll just settle for a pair of ho-hum Cummins 4B-TAs so I can get the old girl out to the billfish grounds :D Now, if I could only find some for free......

14. John Capuano

John Capuano Junior Member

While we are talking about engines does anyone have a suggestion for a 50 to 55 foot semi displacement hull like the Selene or Grand Alaskan. I have been told that for reliabilty Detroit Diesel 6-71 would be a good choice.Any thoughts on gearing so that I can run one engine at a time or both at the same time?I would run a single controllable pitch prop. Maybe a Detroit Diesel 4-71 at 160HP might be a better choice. Any suggestions on brands of eqipment would be very helpful for prop,gearing to control prop,or electronics to control engines.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004

15. Lew Morris

Lew Morris Industrial Designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.