Diesel & jetdrive?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by backwater, Jun 22, 2003.

1. backwater

backwater New Member

I am rebuilding a 34ft 9ft wide fiberglass houseboat. Wt 10,500lbs draft 2ft. The orginal engines were twin 350ci I/O's. Both engines are gone and both outdrives are craped out. I will be using the boat on the Mississippi river. My objective is displacement speeds 8 knots or so. I don't care for I/O and inboard drive would limit my ability to visit most of the places I like to go. I would like to use a diesel (cummins 4B3.3 65hp at 2600rpm) or (Hardy diesel 50hp at 2200rpm) A jetdrive ( Berkley 12JG) would seem like a alternative. Has anyone tried such a set up?

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Jet drives are substantaly weaker at low speeds than a common prop. Most figure about 25 lbs of thrust from a standard marine prop.

At low speeds you may not get half that , so noise will be high as will fuel consumption.

For slow speeds why not a diesel outboard ,or 4 strokes?

Noise and fuel use should be low , as would be cost , compared to those pri$y water pumps.

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.