Dan Arena boats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by BoatMon, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Mr. Tom

Mr. Tom Junior Member

Boat in the pool is about the coolest thing I have ever seen!!

2. 73DAC21XL1

73DAC21XL1 Junior Member

Hello Kit, Tom Andersen here. I had that 73 Dan Arena 21 XL with that 427 Ford you built from Sept 75 til October 1996....Sadly that hull is no longer. But that motor is still running. In 99 I installed it into my 71 Ranchero. I just sold the Ranchero to a guy in Australia. He had no use for the motor, I sold that 1964 C4AE 427 side oiler to a guy here in Sacramento just last month. I have many pictures of the boat and many stories that will raise your eyebrows. You werent kidding when you said 70mph....No problem. I once ran next to Arnesons turbine....for about 10 feet. Ha! I have pictures of that boat too.
    In 1983 I had the boat painted bright red....Much better color for that boat also reupholstered. It was beautiful!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. 73DAC21XL1

73DAC21XL1 Junior Member

4. lbarnes

lbarnes New Member

I already know the answer, but my Mother always said if you don't ask you'll never know. So here goes, does anyone have a drivers side windshield? Price may not be the issue. I have a 1966 18ft runabout. Just picked it up on Saturday. Only missing part is the stern light and the windshield.

5. 73DAC21XL1

73DAC21XL1 Junior Member

Did you pick this one up on Craigslist? I saw one listed near Sacramento, Ca. on 4-22-11. If you dont have luck here try Google Images too.
    Tom Andersen

6. lbarnes

lbarnes New Member

If someone could supply plex windshields, what would they be worth? They would be exact fit made from 3/16 material.

7. 73DAC21XL1

73DAC21XL1 Junior Member

Id think the plexiglass windshield would start around $80 to $90.00. At least

8. thunderboy1

thunderboy1 New Member

Hey Kit, I know this is an old message but I'm scouring the net trying to find out some info I think you'll know. Can you tell me how many and what years the buehler/ hamiilon jet system was put in the arenacrafts. Tom

9. thunderboy1

thunderboy1 New Member

arenacraft/turbocraft Questions

Can anyone tell me or help me find out how many and what years the buehler/hamilton jet system was installed in the arenacrafts. I would really like to know this Tom

10. 73DAC21XL1

73DAC21XL1 Junior Member

buehler/ hamiilon jet system

Kit should be able to answer your question about the jet system.

11. David55cobra

David55cobra Junior Member

Wow ! finally, someone else with a 21XL !! I just found mine a few months ago, and it is waiting in line to be brought back to life while I slowly but surely gather up the parts and pieces needed -- like an engine, gearbox, v-drive unit, shaft, strut, etc etc etc. It has basically been stripped of the driveline, and will require replacement of the transom and stringers - its a big job, but what a beautiful boat when its done !!!!! I can hardly wait to get started.

12. David55cobra

Dan Arena 21XL

Can anyone tell me an approximate prop size for the 21ft v-drive model with a mildly built up 454 engine? My best guestimate so far is with somewhere between 350-375 horsepower, 1 / 1.2 overdrive v-drive box, somewhere around 14" x 14" prop. I dont intend to wind the engine up beyond 4500rpm , and will most likely keep it between 2500 and 3200 rpm - not interested in setting any speed records, breaking the driveline, and not go through 35 gallons in one hour.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this beyond simply trying different props?

13. 73DAC21XL1

73DAC21XL1 Junior Member

I had a 14x18 LH-C cup and pitched a little. Got it at Johnson Propeller in Oakland, Ca.
    There is also Pitchometer in Ememryvill, Ca.
    My motor was a 65 427 Ford side oiler...Im guessing around 425-450 hp. Cissie has a 14x14 with the 454.

14. David55cobra

Thanks much for the feedback on the prop size. I'll keep my eyes open for a left hand 14 x 14 prop as that seems to be the answer that keeps coming up for a good place to start ! I'm hoping to get started on this boat sometime in the fall, and hope to keep gathering up parts and info in the meantime. It helps a lot to have a meaningful jumping off point on all the little details that come up along the way, from hull/deck colors to trying to make some room for mufflers of some sort - lots of exhaust noise was fun when I was a teenager, but it kinda gets on the nerves 35 years later.
    Any idea what style steering wheel might have come with this boat when new? I'm also missing the glove box cover, and have been thinking of designing in a splashproof enclosure for the stereo. Any idea what the original might have looked like?

15. Tahoerover

Tahoerover Junior Member

Better rethink that! Gar Form started building fiberglas inboards in 1947!

fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/9/94/Garformb47001.jpg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.