cruseair unit

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Tshaffer, May 24, 2015.

1. Tshaffer

Tshaffer New Member

Test ran my air on my 260 Sundancer before heading of to the lake for the holiday. After several hours of cooling it shut down. Tried again after a few hours with same results. Can someone guide me in the right direction.
    Tshaffer

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

How old is the cruisair? Split system or self contained? What is the refrigerant type? The model number?

I have an old cruisair heat pump from 1970's with no semiconductor controls and it works well, I have done some major repairs to that.

What exactly is happening at it's shutdown? How long will run before shutting off? Is the coolant water flow strong and good?

3. Tshaffer

Tshaffer New Member

cruisair Unit

Its a 2000 Searay self contained unit
    that was serviced last year. Unit cools
    for a hour or so and than quits cooling.
    Water remains good and strong and fan
    still runs. Do not know model # or type
    of refrigerant put will work on that today.

Thanks, Tim

4. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

So then the compressor turns off?

Does it reset itself?
    Or do you turn it off and on and off to get it cooling again?

I recall some of these will trip the compressor off on high head pressure and not reset automatically by themselves.
    There is a high pressure shut down switch that measures head pressures and if they go over 425 or 450 psi, the compressor will turn off.
    One reason it can happen is the system gets too hot. A dirty scaled up heat exchanger can cause that. You have to clean them out with a solution of muriatic acid. Another reason is insufficient water flow from the pump, it should fill a 5 gallon bucket in about a minute.

5. Tshaffer

Tshaffer New Member

It does not reset its self. Cleaned system yesterday with acid and checked the water out put which was good. Do you think it could be low on refrigerant? Just tried it again and it did not cool an then it tripped the breaker.

6. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Some of them newer ones also have a low pressure switch.
    But either high or low pressure switches wont be tripping an external distribution panel breaker. Which type breaker is tripping off? How quickly does it trip off?
    Too High discharge pressure or too low suction pressure will turn the compressor off to protect the compressor.

And does this have a run and start capacitor, and does it have a start potential relay for the compressor? If the start potential relay is not working or the capacitors are bad, the compressor motor can not generate the starting up spinning torque the electric motor needs to spin up. What it will do then is draw a huge current and blow the breaker. Some meters can check start and run capacitors.

The potential relay engages the start windings and puts the start capacitor in parallel with the run capacitor. When the motor spins up to 3/4 speed, the back EMF force generated from the motor windings opens the potential relay taking the start windings and start capacitor out of the circuit.

And if that relay does not open cause it is stuck, then the start motor windings stay in the circuit too long and it will trip the breaker.

My cruisair is a type F 16k btu split system with remote evaporators.
    Looking at what my unit was supposed to have is a MARS 65 #19004 or GE 3ARR3 T3P3
    cut out voltage for these is set to open the relay at 175 volts.
    Years ago someone used a GE 3ARR3 B3S3 Mars 69 #19008 which is close enough specs wise to function ok.

Mars 65 relay specs are
    332 volt coil
    168 to 182 volt pick up (where the start relay cuts out of circuit)
    90 volt drop out

Mars 69 relay specs are
    336 volt coil
    180-195 volt pick up
    105 volt drop out

relay cross reference pdf
    http://www.marsm-a.com/images/Product-X-Ref-new.pdf

This is for informational purposes. I dont know what you have in yours.