Converting to a bowrider

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Bearded Clam, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Bearded Clam

Bearded Clam New Member

I recently acquired a late 60s Sangstercraft runabout and have found the need to replace the stringers and floor. This shouldn’t prove to be too much of a challenge as I just am finishing replacing the same plus the transom on my dads 29 ft Bayliner.

The way that this boat is currently laid out there is ok seating with two across the back next to the engine nacelle, four on convertibles up front. I would like to make more seating room for girls. My friend and I have been eyeing up the front deck area and thinking that it wouldn’t be that hard to cut a big old hole up there and make some benches and turn her into a bowrider. I know this is a big undertaking but I have the boat all apart anyways and it is a good project.

The bow riders seem too be more popular anyways. As I am on the west coast of Canada, we get some fairly rough waters and I might find myself out in the thick of it some days. What is your thoughts on the seaworthiness of the bowrider design vs. the foredeck? Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated. Oh any one know if you HAVE to use epoxy resin for fuel tanks or will poly work just as well?

2. boatmoron

boatmoron New Member

broken in half yet?

just wondering if your boat held up after conversion. I am restoring my 81 four winns cuddy and want to convert it, just don't know if it's a good idea. Anybody else have any experience? thanks

3. I am not too sure about a Boatmoron taking a Bearded clam for a ride in his bowrider swiming pool during breaking water over the bow. The Clam should be O K.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's seems a real waste of time, effort and money when there are thousands of old bow riders available for a song and dance (literally) free for the taking, in need of the same things as your CheapoCraft. Change out the stuff you want to keep into a hull designed for the seating and use you desire.

Bow riders, by the nature their design, are protected waters craft, not suited for taking on seas of any size. You'll take some water over the bow in one of those things crossing a decent wake and the girls will be ducking for cover behind the windscreen, let alone a slight chop. It's rare that a sow's ear can be made into a silk purse.

If you want additional seating, toss out the convertibles and build seating down each side, behind the helm. You'll likely run into an overloaded condition with all those seats filled, but hopefully, someone in a sound vessel will drag your swamped butt and boat back to shore.

5. My 18.5 ' Chapparrel is a good example of those bad characteristics. Empty bow is 3.5' above the water. Loaded, 2.0' above the water. My bilge pump HAS to work perfectly!!! I do not cross the channel if cruisers are around.

6. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

It's a rule.

Eschew the bowrider. I'm in Long Island Sound and even I hate bowriders (our conditions aren't generally bad). Hardtops and cuddies are the best.

7. sbs0071

sbs0071 New Member

If you have a good water proof bow cover, and use it in foul weather it works quite well

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.