catamaran engine(s)?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by brian c, Jun 8, 2004.

1. brian c

brian c Junior Member

hi all.
    i have just bought a 17ft fibreglass catamaran with a front cuddy (it is a powerboat and never was designed to be a sailboat). Problem is it has two outboards - 12hp 'wind' apparently theyre made in russia but i cant find any information about them on the internet, anyway one needs a small end bearing and a gudgeon pin.

What i need to know really is if i dont get the parts what is the best way to go about changing the boat to a single outboard, 25hp i suppose should be enough, but with the wake kicking up the inside channel between the hulls will that 'drown' - for want of a better word - the outboard? if so can anyone suggest what i should do, is there any single engined catamarans that have addressed this problem. hope you can help

many thanks

brian

2. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

Hi Brian, just today I was talking with the builder of a tunnel hull boat, called Airide. In order for a cat or tunnel hull boat to work with a single engine something must be done to "clean" the water passing underneath. They had to fashion something like a wing to press down and smooth out the water between the hulls. It has a technical name and I can't remember what it is called. Also, Livingston boats in Washington state builds cats up to 18ft. and they are designed primarily for single outboard power. Find them at www.livingstonboats.com I don't think Airide boats has a website, but Livingston should be able to answer your questions.

Good luck,

Greg

3. brian c

brian c Junior Member

:idea: i can see the back view so i'll do something similar, i'd love to see the bottom plan, but i guess its a taperd V shape.

thanks greg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.