Cary Marine

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by CHICCO, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Rzelmer

Rzelmer New Member

Back in 2000 Victor Posner passed away and the company was up for sale.
    I acquired the intellectual assets and re-designed the 50 deckand sheer line to bring it up to date with the modern times and tried to market it.
    In 1996-97 The Company did build a Turbine version but never had to much luck with getting it to run. Late in 2000 I sold the assets to an investor and they are trying to revamp and rebuild the company. I stay in touch with on a regular basis so when they do start production again my company will hopefully be doing the design and naval architecture that might be necessary.

2. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

I exhibited beside them one year in Ft Lauderdale when they brought the boats in to the dock it was fantastic with all the Arnesons and Meat Cleavers churning up water.

3. Cary

Cary Junior Member

I still have the blueprints of the 46' I was working on with Don.

4. mrjoe72

mrjoe72 New Member

cary -blackfin 33 combi its true ??

hello ...i recently bought a hull from blackfin .its a 1980 model and i hear about this hull and is probably build from cary marine to blackfin ..its true ???

5. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

Now that sounds interesting.

6. Rzelmer

Rzelmer New Member

I have the lines for the 70

7. restorin-ss

restorin-ss New Member

21 foot cary

I own a 21 foot Cary Mar (did not know the Mar stood for Marine) I have had it for three years sitting on the side of my house and my wife wants me to sell it. This is the first bit of information I have found on Cary boats. It looks like a cigarette type boat with a narrow beam. It is a sport type fishing boat with center console. Blue and white. Hull in great condition and it has a newer (87) 150 merc. I dont know what it is worth and would like to know more about this model. I bought in in Wilmington NC, from a neighbor of my mother and father in law. He said it is extremely fast and cuts through the breakers like a knife. It is very heavy duty and sharp looking. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

8. Cary

Cary Junior Member

Cary 19

here is some old literature

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. restorin-ss

restorin-ss New Member

Cary 19

Thank you so much for the information. The more I find out about the boat the less I want to sell it. It is great to get the information from the son of the man who built it. Very interesting. I will take some photos and would appreciate you looking at them. It is definately the same hull design but has a tall center stand up center console with canopy and fishing pole holders at the top and front, rear and center lights above. Also, had hydrolic stearing and large gas tank under console and front seat. I believe the transom was modified to hold the 150 black max. It has 1/4 inch aluminum and a walker attached to it. Has outriggers stamped LEE'S MIAMI and 2 pole holders on port and starboard. The railings are not as high as in the photo.

10. hlblake

hlblake Junior Member

Can you send me or post pictures of the boat?
    Please let meknow if you are going to sell it
    I might be interested

11. restorin-ss

restorin-ss New Member

1969 Cary 19 photos.

See attached.

Attached Files:

12. craig mac

craig mac New Member

I have a friend looking to buy a 28 or 32 cary and is looking for a copy of any sales sheets or boat magazine tests

13. dregsz

dregsz Junior Member

Hi Cary,
    Glad to see this thread is alive and you are still on it.
    Y0ou probably know Michael Arronow has his own forum on Donzi.net and Alan Brown(ie) and many other old NMB industry guys are around and Charlie McCarthy and Charley Jr have a Banana Boat Forum (and ressurected the company) on offshoreonly.com, and started HORBA, Historic offshore Race Boat Association, historicraceboats.com and brought back the Miami to Bimini Offshore Race.
    I'm sure many people would love to have you involved in HORBA.

The easy way to get the 28' Cary back on the water is w 2xV6 OBS. This was a popular way to go for Cigarette 28's in the 80s and 90s but now we are seeing a considerable amount of attention on period correct restorations of classic offshore boats and some would say it's a pitty.

If you posted a pic of the transom drive cutouts it would be easy to tell if the drives were bravos or TRS style.

I'm thinking the other possibility was the conversion was to TRS based Speedmaster III's which used the TRS cutout and upper units and a longer, football like lower unit, popular in raceboats of the day, and a fairly predictable "go to" move for someone who had a friend in S Fl with a warehouse and a bunch of old raceparts around. (everyone in Miami knows someone with a wharehouse full of old raceboat stuff). "Speedie 3s were out of style for a long time and bought up for cheap drive conversions after Bravo units became popular.

You could pick up stock Chevy motors (swap in a marine cam w 110 or higher lobe seperation) on craigslist for $1K - $2K each. drives, trannys and gimbals won't come too cheap, by now you've probably done something anyway.....

Just my thoughts...

I had a ride on a Cary 50 as the press boat at the 1980 Bacardi Race. It was a MONSTER. I loved it!

14. dregsz

dregsz Junior Member

So Chicco,
    What DID you do?

15. repowerman

repowerman New Member

Cary repowering

I own a 1970 28' Cary (27' 6" Sportsman) that I repowered to diesel with Yanmar 4 cylinder 170's. It performs very well, is an excellent fish raiser ( I set it up to tourney fish) and sips fuel. WOT is 23 Kts, cruise light load is 21 Kts and fully loaded 19 Kts.

The Yanmars fit nicely in the space of the big blocks.

I have also converted 2 Cary 45's to diesel with triple Yanmar 420/440's and surfacing piercing drives that had wot of over 50 Kts with full loads and extra fuel in bladder tanks for long range.

I have my Cary 28 up for sale now as I am down sizing to a more trailerable boat that I can haul with my 1/2 ton Chevy, since I am moving in land and don't have a dock.

I also have a pair of V12 720 Hp Gas engines with gears, Speed Master # 3's and all the gauges and controls from one of the 45's I repowered if anyone is looking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.