Cary Marine

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by CHICCO, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Click on the Cary Marine site, then yachts for sale, then the turbine. It has pictures of my Weeny cooker. :p

2. Cary

Cary Junior Member

too much vee

The 50' was the biggest pig we built, that hull configuration (the same as the 32' "The Cigarette") was optimal at about 90mph, not exactly a nice cruise speed. That 70' might be optimal at about 120mph. I gave them my resume before I left Miami. I could have designed a mould insert that would have made it a more efficient, stable and elegant vessel. Now I'm stuck on a mountain designing houses.

3. WOT

WOT Junior Member

28' Cary Hull

I have a buddy who has a 28' Cary Cigarette I believe it is 1975-78 somewhere in there. He blew up the motors and has yanked them out - the boat has been sitting in his back yard uncovered for about 2 years - so needless to say the interior is pretty shot. Here is my question - he has offered me this boat for $1,200 - I have inspected the hull and it is in great shape - is this a no brainer deal or is it one I should pass up - thanks for the advise -

Thanks

4. Cary

Cary Junior Member

Good purchase

I believe Ralph (Felo) Otero was still in charge of production, so it should be very well constructed. Quite a few of the boats my father built (pre 1973) are collectors items. However they were kept in immaculate condition. Was the beam on it 9' on the 28'or 8' on the 29'? When Don Aronow's no competition contract with Magnum ran out he took a 32' and added 4' creating the Cigarette 36 and Cigarette Racing Team. There hasn't been any real hull improvement since then, Actually, I don't care for any of the new hulls, including Donzi.

5. WOT

WOT Junior Member

28' Cary

My guess would be a 9' beam - but thats just a guess. What I am afraid of is having this great hull and not being able to afford to do anything with it. I have another freind who mods power boats for a living and he told me I would be looking at about 14,000 just in motors without even getting into outdrives - he also mentioned the cost of completely re-doing the interior, which I think I could do myself but the motors and outdrives would be a huge expense for me. Option #2 - (if this is an option at all) - the same buddy who has the Cary also said he would sell me 2 Johnson 200Hp outboards ($800.00 for both)- one runs and the other needs help - I would have to redo the back of this boat of course to accept the outboards - is this something that you think would be doable. As you can probably tell - I really want a bad looking boat without having to spend $20,000. I really appreciate your reply - and would love to be able to put this Cary back in the water - it is such an awesome looking boat. Thanks for all your help

6. Cary

Cary Junior Member

Are you sure it is a Cary 28 and not a Cigarette 28 designed by my dad, (he also did the Donzi 19 St. Tropez back in 1965) Jean Claude Simon might have made a Cary 28' like the Cigarette 28" back in 1975-78 or so. We designed our boats to run on straight drive shafts, no vee-drives or outdrives except the 26 and a few 19's had outdrives but mostly outboards. You can see some of our old brochures at my website caryart.com just click on cary marine on the left index.

7. WOT

WOT Junior Member

I asked who the maker of the boat was - and was informed that it was a 28' Cary - Not being familiar with the name I also had him spell it - so at least to his knowledge it is a Cary hull - 2 inboards for sure (gone now) do you think it would be feasable to strap to 200Hp outboards on the back

8. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Possible to strap 2x 200 hp? Probably, since the hull is in great condition. GO FOR IT if you have the cash... :)

9. Cary

Cary Junior Member

Sure you can. I was just wondering if it was the old 28' hull, it was like the Magnum 35 and Donzi 28, We also built a 29' hull, The same as the Magnum 27, Cigarette 28, Jean Claude had one as a race boat called the Beep Beep. It was trailerable, I designed the hull when I was 12 as the 19' cary, my dad yelled from his bedroom that he only wanted it to draw 6", so I had to erase the original hull vee and redraw it, however, Don saw it and Walt Walters drew up the 27' Magnum and what became the 32' Cary raceboat called the Cigarette. We used chrysler 330hp 440cid as standard on striaght drives, we also offered 427's either Holman&Moody or Daytona at about 500hp each. So you might want to reconsider getting some case engines, If it had outdrives then it was most likely a 29'. We used an insert to build the 26 sport boat. The 29 was like the 28 with side consoles and small cabin forward, the 26 was neat but it was just a cruiser with a cockpit. The original 28' was 9'10" wide, if it was a 29 it was about 8'. I'm not to familiar with what Jean Claude did but he also did a Chris Craft that was the same boat.

10. WOT

WOT Junior Member

Cary 28'

CARY- hope your still watching this thread. Well I am back again with a little more info - The Cary I was discussing earlier is actually a 1972 - the number is 061 it has a 10' beam and a small cuddy. I was told that it was a custom build. I have pics now and a copy of title - again the motors and outdrive are gone and the interior is shot but the hull looks good - I spoke with the gentleman selling it today and he will let it go for next to nothing - but it does need a lot of work. Look forward to your insight on this boat. Thanks

11. Cary

Cary Junior Member

We did build a model that had a forward steering station just aft of the cuddy cabin, it would be more approriate for outdrives. We also made a center console. We usually had the big block v-8's on straight drives. The standard setup was with a side console about 8' from the stern then an engine box and lounge forward, then the cuddy cabin. All of our boats were custom made. I am just a little concerned that the twin 200's would be slightly underpowered. Our standard engines were the Chrysler 440 cid 330 hp, on straight drives. We didn't like outdrives because of their weight, complexity, and the power loss due to vector changes. Also, they generally wanted the engines close to the stern that ruined the self bailing fishing cockpit. And you would have to use long jack shafts to put the engines in the proper center of gravity for better ride characteristics (didn't like trim tabs either)on those particular hull designs. The outboards on gil (or similar) transom brackets, because of their light weight might be ok. Be sure to check the stringers and other interior hull areas for delamination and water damage. Although it is probably ok, people have hit rocks and etc...

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  12. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

WOT - if you undertake this restoration, refit, repower I hope you'll post some photos before, after, and during -- would love to see this project along the way :)

Cary - thanks very much for taking part in the forums here and sharing your knowledge and first-hand details!

13. WOT

WOT Junior Member

Thanks A- Lot

Great info, howver after talking to several freinds who are boat enthusiasts I think I am going to pass this one up - not for desire but for lack of knowledge. Although I am technically and mechanically inclined I think this project would be way, way, way over my head. Even though I can pick this boat up for a song I just don't have the space, time or knowledge to restore it. If anybody would be interested in this boat I would be glad to send pics and I also have a copy of the title. You can email me at redsox9@earthlink.net and I would be happy to provide any information that I could. Thanks for all of the help!!!!! I so wish I could bring this boat back to life.

14. WOT

WOT Junior Member

Pics of the 28'

Follow this link - I have uploaded some pics to a site I have under construction:www.carbonlogistics.com/cary.htm Let me know what you guys think - thanks again

15. WOT

WOT Junior Member

Well - I am back to buying it - A buddy of mine has offered his warehouse to store it and work on it - for free!!! So I figure why not

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.