Can it be done? (55FT aluminum under 200k euro)

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mariocroatia, Mar 17, 2012.

1. mariocroatia

mariocroatia Junior Member

my personal example ,my small power boat glastron cost here 57.8 k eur ,ive buy it in usa brand new for 21.5 k usd ,with transport and all the tax i end up on 27 k eur ,thats more than double what a dealer was asking here

2. mariocroatia

So u are calling Croatia 3 world country and in shippbuilding ???????

3. Alik

Alik Senior Member

While labour and overheads are smaller, equipment and materials could cost more. There are boats built to our designs in India; yes labour is cheap but there is nothing available locally in terms of materials and parts. The only way they can keep it running is 60% import duty on pleasure boats, i.e. 'luxury tax'.

In countries like Thailand there are local FRP components available, and there is FTA say with Australia that allows to import parts. But there is zero import duty for pleasure boats that makes it impossible to compete with World's mass producers. The only attractive segment for local builders are: specific tourist transportation craft, custom and semi-custom pleasure boats.

Actually, we design for builders in many of Asian countries... Not cheap to build, if we are talking about quality. Huge savings in Asia is a myth; there will be some savings but only for right job.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

So, shopping around gets you a better deal. As it does with anything in life :cool:

No IV isn't. He is just highlighting, also, that just because labour is cheap in a country, doesn't mean the whole boat will be. There is more to it than just labour rates.

So the same engine you can get cheaper, may have hidden admin cost, owing to buying eslewhere; to prevent shopping around. As an example.

5. mariocroatia

It can not be compared croatian boatbuilding against chinese or india ...material is aluminum and it is available in europe.....

6. mariocroatia

i know its more than labour rate ....

everything what is made in EU u have to pay only 25%vat ,when importing from USa u have on that customs tax 8 %

7. Alik

Alik Senior Member

You want to say that alu is not available in China or India?? They have their own aluninium.

8. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

So which is it?
    or
    ;)

9. mariocroatia

did not mean that...ive meant aluminum as material available everywhere ....

10. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

aahhh...i see

You shop around, find the better deal. But, after finding the eqpt/material etc cheaper to use on a regular basis, you elect not to use the better deal....wow, makes perfect sense now! :eek:

11. mariocroatia

ok,i think i can start project very soon.....the boat will be professionally built (not work boat stile)and i will put here on forum every single bill of costs ,salary for workers , electricity bills, materials bills ......

12. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

So my idea of launching my structurally complete vessel here, with all the bits bolted in for completion, and then motoring it to Thailand for internal fitout:

* Some carcass work
    * sanding, sanding and more sanding
    * paint and timber trim
    * some plumbing plus tidy up of existing
    * Tidy up and finish electrical
    * Stainless work

will not save me money?

For the cost of a single days labour here I can get 13 days labour in Thailand.

13. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Better deal?
    There is no better deal, it all costs the same, everywhere
    You said so yourself :D

14. mariocroatia

This friday ive went to marina shop in my town looking garmin 4008 prce 25800 hrk cca 4800 usd on ebay u can buy it for 1600 usd.....+VAT25%=2k usd

15. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

For the hard to follow, here are the dots to join.

1) Engine is cheap in country A, but I live in country B.

2) Can I buy engine from country A, install it and fit it and warranty it cheaper than country B, as a total package?

3) If answer to #2, is yes, then either:

4) you select that engine from country A and this then becomes your norm, your preferred supplier i.e. the engine still cost the same, time and time again, because you continue to keep buying from the same cheap supplier
    or
    5) you continue to buy from a more expensive source and keep bleating about it for some unknown reason. :p