Cabin Heat From an Outboard

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by CaptPPan, Jun 20, 2005.

1. CaptPPan

CaptPPan Junior Member

Has anyone come up with a way to steal some heat from an outboard eng to heat the Pilothouse?
    I've always done it with my inboards, but I've just purchased a new 250 Yamaha 4cycle that I'll be running throug November and It can get pretty cold.

Thanks

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Does it have any hot water hoses?

3. CaptPPan

CaptPPan Junior Member

I'm shure it must, but I have'nt recieved it yet. I'm just thinking in advance. I'm also going to ask the dealer when I pick it up if anyone has done anything like this befor.

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Little outboards cast all coolant passages in the block. 200 hp may be the odd ball. If you get your wish. Check the overheat alarm everytime you start the jury rig in the cooling system. A blown line MIGHT give you 3 to 5 seconds at + 3/4 power before damage begins. FLASH--- use a Coleman propane Catalytic infrared heater, saves the engine and puts the heat on your skin. It has no open flame.

5. CaptPPan

CaptPPan Junior Member

I'm not sure I like propane anything on a boat. I wonder if there is a small 12Volt electric heater that would do the job.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those 12V heaters are not spark/ignition protected.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.