BPM trimmable, non-steerable surface drives?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Jeff, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Anyone know if there is a web site with more details on BPM surface drives?

They look pretty nice in their simplicity (though I'm sure they're fairly $$$)
    http://www.raceboats.com/bpm.html

2. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

I'll see what I can dig up for you Jeff.

3. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Just one thing what does BPM stand for?

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Got an answer from Rik on the Offshore Only Forums which was interesting:
    I didn't realize there was this close (licensing) relatioship between the two.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I think it would be a socalled Trimax...

That is what I have found about the system!

In the RC world we try and make drives like them. They are very good..

Morten

6. FRANKIEFRANKIE

FRANKIEFRANKIE Junior Member

TRIMMABLE

NEED TO CHECK OUT THE PULSEDRIVE. THEY HAVE A FIVE YEAR WARRANT, PRODUCE THEIR OWN PROPELLERS, AND ARE TRIMMABLE. HEARD NOTHING BUT THE BEST.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Got to agree with Frankie,
    I've been a couple of sport boats ranging in size between 23 and 44ft with the Pulse Drives. Nothing compares in performance and simplicity.

8. cadillac

cadillac cadillac

BPM is not a Trimax. Trimax is from Fabio Buzzi and BPM is a small family run business also in Italy. It looks similar to the Arneson but they usually run it as a straight unit and unlike Arneson they put a rudder behind it for steering. The boat in the photo is the Spirit of Norway from Europe and the trim ram setup originally came from a farm tractor in Italy.

9. frogger1403

frogger1403 New Member

Trimax is not from Buzzi, he uses them quite often, but they produced by ZF Germany. They produce the transmissions for BMW and Audi, too.

Check their website for more information:
    www.zf-marine.com/

10. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

Levi Drives

We are producing Levi Drives. It is a simple and safe unit. Levi Drives belong to the fixed surface drive unit and are relative unexpensive. The unit is produced in stainless 316L. The shaft is stainless 316 (or Aquamed) and if you wish we sell you one of our own Levi Diamond Back propeller also. We have drives in the field with 20 and more years of service. These propeller are made from NiAl Bronze. Our standard casting shop is FinnScrew Malaysia.

Please see our webpage www.levidrives.com

Best regards

Rudi

11. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

The Chinese and Japanese have used that same design of powering their boats for over 40 years. What is so great about it now?

12. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

Levi Drives

What is so great about it?? We invented it and patented it about 30 years ago!!

Cheers Rudi

13. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

If I said the Chinese invented gunpowder thousands of years ago. What modern company would say they invented it and patented it ?

14. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Cadillac. Look at the www.leviedrives.com web site. Then you will know where farm tractors go. Also check out their Diamond Back props. I thought he ment to say, " Black Diamond " propellors. ---------------1/2 a Kort Nozzle is better than a full Court Case. :rolleyes:

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The art of placing a propellor on the surface has been around longer than that. How its done seems to have a handfull of manufactures claiming theirs to be better.
    If your the kind of boater that goes for a spin on sunday afternoon then removes the boat followed by a wash and polish, then Arneson, ZF is the one for you. All that external hydraulics, rams ,pipes, rubber bellows( that never leak). Not to mention what all those metals do for your electolisis.

But-- if you have a cruiser that lives in the marina then you have to go for the 'tractor ' type St, steel housing St steel shaft, and bolted to the boat making this type of fixed Propulsion so stong you could probably jack the boat up under it. These systems run on normal cutlass bearings and go for ever. Just antifoul like the rest of the boat, clean the prop occaisionaly and away you go.

Can you immagine antifouling a beautifull arneson drive

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.