Which boat to buy?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by islandmech, Feb 24, 2012.

1. islandmech

islandmech New Member

Hi all, I am actively looking for my next boat in the 42-44 ft range. My dilemma is: For my budget, I can buy a fairly current model year like a 2002 Bayliner or Sea Ray Etc. or for similar money buy an older Grand banks or Hatteras etc that will probably need refit. So , go for current technology {engines, electronics etc} or , go for the older boat of known quality..?
    Any opinions appreciated!

Thanks, Gary

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Another example might be better, you're saying a newer sedan or cuddy cruiser or a trawler. Vastly different boats from planning to semi or displacement.

What do you want to do?

3. islandmech

islandmech New Member

I generally travel in the slow lane.. I realize the boats are different types but we typically go slow with our present boat {36 SeaRay}. I live in the PNW and our typical week of boating will see 3 or 4 anchorages but only 20 or 30 miles of travel.

Gary

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Gary:

I guess you know: Break Out Another Thousand.

Buy the best boat you can afford,as it always costs you 50% more than you think it will to fix things.
    Its a buyer's market right now.

I have gone for the speed capability,I can dawdle along at 8-9 knots,but then instead of (like the trawlers) waiting around for hours/or getting up at 5 am for the tides to be favourable,I just open the throttle for 2 minutes.

There's another guy from the area

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/best-design-liveaboard-41380.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.