anyone with a Wellcraft out there.....?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by btravlin, Sep 21, 2004.

1. btravlin

btravlin New Member

Hi there, What's the general quality, reputation of Wellcraft boats. I've seen plenty of them but know nothing about them. In my case I might be looking at a 1984 Wellcraft 240 Sportsman for fair-weather offshore fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. It has a 225 Yamaha on it. I'm interested in the strength of the hull, fit and finish, the ride, seaworthiness.....etc. Thanks...... :rolleyes:

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Hi there,

My Dad had a Wellcraft V20 (you see 'em everywhere) that we beat around offshore for 8 years. She looked just as good as the day she was new when he traded her in for a 22 walkaround. Very good fit and finish, no screws rolling around the deck at the end of the day, gelcoat held up very well in the south Texas sun ( the boat lived under a canvas cover in the driveway). We went offshore when 40 footers were turning around at the end of the jetties, and never once did I feel unsafe. It was, however, a very wet boat, as most good riding hulls seem to be. But that was her only shortcoming, and that's what Isinglass was made for, right? :D

3. James Mills

James Mills Junior Member

I own a Wellcraft 228 Sportsman. It is a good strong boat with a great ride.
    Bought the boat with a blown IO. Pulled the IO, rebuilt the transom and intalled a 200 Evinrude on a bracket. Been very pleased with it. In general, Wellcraft has a good reputation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.