Anchor winches

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Willallison, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

There is has been as trend of late to design the anchor and winch set up on a lot of boats so that the system is below deck - the anchor itsel protruding from the bow, or at least under a bow sprit - as in this pic.
    How, I wonder does the helmsman, lifting the anchor with his remotely located button, know when the anchor is up? Or do you simply keep on hauling 'till the anchor tries to drive itself through the bow and comes to a grinding halt when the winch motor can no longer cope with the strain?

Attached Files:

2. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Shut-off Switch

There is a shut-off switch that the anchor triggers when it reaches a certain point. It is very similar to the shut-off on a garage door.

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

3. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Port good job! And the (anchor winches) is called a Windlass

4. Tim Bard

Tim Bard Junior Member

How does the shutoff actually work? I have seen some devices that count the windlass revolutions to give an idea of rode out but wonder if those can be relied on if the rode stretches in service to give an accurate position (seems doutful). Therefore some type of switch would be preferred to sense the true anchor position. Any details on that concept, seems simple and I have figured out something totally sealed up (off the shelf parts) but what has the industry come up with?

5. yipster

yipster designer

we "simply keep on hauling 'till the anchor tries to drive itself through the bowplank and comes to a halt when the winch motor can no longer cope". than we handflip a chainlock (on a fast boat wise to do) securing the anchor rambling free. made a footswitch (extra) next to the windlass that comes in handy so we seldom use the dash remote. this works fine (have to fix damp coming in from the chain locker) dint know about that shut-off switch and whats that about sealing?

6. yipster

yipster designer

it became time to service, damp keeps coming in and fitted new mirror and uper half of the bulkhead
    even made a new plank that looks good but havent solved the problem
    below a sketch of my windlass and chainlocker
    13 years back selfmade and now wonder how to service or get in the chainlocker if i glass it all tight
    where do you suppose to open that locker?

Attached Files:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ok the question was how do you know if the anchor is home . So the winch motor comes to a stop and GGGRRRRRR noise comes from the motor.

Is the anchor home,-- or is it stuck in the mud still, or has the anchor shackle stuck some where in the anchor park? Happens all the time.

I also up haul the anchor from a remote switch from the bridge ,--but I can see it ,--I can even see a little bit of the chain so I can manouvre the boat directly on top of it and get a straight pull.

Some so called improvements are'nt improvements at all.

I would'nt want to trust a micro switch!!! So video cameras now then?

I nearly set my boat on fire from a winch malfunction. I now have an alarm on the relay.

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Limit switches are no big deal. In this case a pressure switch would likely be the preferred type. Some part of the anchor triggers the pressure switch or breaks a light beam when it is in the home position. The part of the anchor is chosen such that nothing else can hit the switch or break the light beam. Not too different from the cruise control disabling switch on the brake pedal in your car or many other sensors and switches you use every day but may not even be aware of.

Pretty soon we may be so far removed from the actual operation of our boats that we could just as well have an equally satisfying virtual experience in the comfort of our living rooms. It would certainly be much less expensive and safer for all concerned. I remember having sex with Barbarella. No possibility of HIV either.

9. Willallison

:D :D
    Yes - it's a grey area... at what point do you become so detached that you dilute the experience. OTOH taken to the opposite extreme we'd all be paddling dugout logs - or sailing or course...;)

We installed one of those chain counters on our boat. Fabulous - very accurate and MUCH easier than trying to count coloured strings as they vanish over the bow roller in the middle of a rainy night.

Personally, I can't imagine owning a system where you can't physically see the anchor as it comes up.

Yipster, my old Searay had the same setup as yours. Never had damp cushions, and I could see the anchor as it came up through the bow roller. I'd stop it just short and the go fwd and clip it in.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont need a chain counter .I got 30 metere and I put it all out every time.

Desperately concerened about weight especially up forward I only have minimal length so the lot goes out every time.

Even if I anchor in 4 meter 4x7 =28 !!!!

11. Willallison

We didn't need it either, but it is handy.

4 x 7 = 28 .....

Was this a simple demonstartion of your mathematical genius...?
    I'm guessing you mean in 4m of water you wind up with a 7:1 slope on the chain. I usually drop at least 5:1

12. yipster

yipster designer

Frosty, got some 10 meter chain and the rest elastic rope, does save weight and winches well

Will, you had a newer model, mine is from 88 and although the 27' is measured on the hull,
    not top plank to end swimplatform, originally this was a gasbin and made the windlass myself
    once the drain got clogged and water came running in from behind the mirror.
    guess i see the answer to my question, glas the split bulkhead (red)
    get rubbers ( what sort? ) to seal the hinging mirror (green)
    or how do you guys acces the locker?

dont know what to think of all the microswitches on the dash and plank,
    handy but a lot of fuses, control boxes and wires,
    i'll ask if jane can take a pic on her phone

Attached Files:

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im surprised that I have to explain this to you Will.

Yes 4 meters will usually need 28 meters but 30 would be better to take the 28 from the water line. 5:1 is ok, but for a good nights sleep I like 7, Or basically everything I got. Theres no need to get out of bed then is there? I dont have anymore.

7:1 slope??? I would have 4 down and 24 on the floor!!

14. Willallison

Frosty ... yes true, for the most part the weight of the chain on the bottom is what stops you from drifiting around the place - especially if it's heavy stuff. I too would go greater than 5:1 if I was expecting a blow.
    You must really piss off the neighbours when you come into a crowded bay, drop all your chain, then proceed to swipe all the other boats when you swing!;)

Yipster - I'm still not clear as to where the water gets in... unless the chain is falling really close to the bulkhead, or piling up against it.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont go in crowded bays and 7:1 is normal anchoring.

I would anchor where I knew I had the swing.

Your talking about Sunsail sailors. I use the word sailor very loosley

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.