aluminum cat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Delsol, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Delsol

Delsol New Member

what are the thoughts on this boat? Would it handle the beating that Lake Erie could throw at it? It's a 45' Steyr 230hp Diesel engines

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

If the anti-fouling is indicative of where the waterline sits, it is no lightweight. Would the boat rise sufficiently when planing, to get a reasonable tunnel clearance ? Doubtful, I'd say. Is there a hydrofoil(s) fitted ? It is the kind of thing that might benefit from them. It might be worth asking someone who worked aboard it, if you can find someone, to gauge the comfort, especially heading into waves. The boat might handle a beating, but the crew cop a bit of a hiding, though maybe that wave breaker helps.

3. Delsol

Delsol New Member

Here is a shot of it from inside the tunnel -- and yes I hear what you are saying about sitting low

Attached Files:

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It won't rise dramatically underway, imo. Smaller boats with tunnels that "kiss" the water at rest, have a better chance of getting some clearance, because they have more planing area per unit of boat weight, are maybe faster anyway, with better power to weight ratio, and even the air lift in the tunnel is greater, because the surface area/weight ratio is better. I have been in planing cats around 35' with diesels that were a bit slow, and I suspect riding on the tunnel to some extent, the ride wasn't too bad though. I'd like to hear from the fisheries research people who actually used it, they'd know. I would keep in mind hydrofoil assist for that boat, though, potentially it could improve both ride and fuel economy.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

No boat can....is the simple answer.

But...is the boat right for you?...best way, take her for a spin and see if you like the way she performs. Beyond that, it is simple seamanship and being sensible when out at sea.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.