Alternator wiring help

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by 80chriscraftski, Jun 30, 2009.

1. 80chriscraftski

80chriscraftski Junior Member

So could someone explain to me what type of terminals/posts are on the rear of a alternator and what typically hooks up to them if they are labeld as the following

Volt, sensor

Ac Tap

Neg (obviously ground)

Pos (obviously battery - but should this be wired to the starter selenoid)

Reg

Exc

I have 3 wires that go to the altenator. My old alternator did not have the terminals/posts labeld. Since I have an updated/new alternator that will work its not the exact model as the old alternator.

the 3 wires come from
    1. the igition,
    2. the starter selenoid
    3. distributor.

thanks in advance

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

AC tap is usually for a tachometer
    exc goes to the ignition to make the alternator charge
    reg goes to the output on the regulator. It makes it charge until a preset voltage is reached.

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

must be a very old alternator if it has an external regulator never seen one with a connection to the distributer ( as in cap leads coil and contacts)

Dont think gonzo has it right .you told us whats on the alternator ...whats on the regulator ?

Volt /sensor goes to battery positive ..thin wire senses battery volts ..usually comes from the regulator

AC sometime called W for windings is an ac feed for the tacho

Reg would go to the regualator ( feed for slip rings /brushes )

Exc goes to the warning light not direct to ignition ..

If we knew the make or had a photo we could be 100% certain

your list of wires ....Ign ...do you mean warning light ?
    starter solenoid ...this is your live feed to the battery ..12v +
    distributer .....check that again ....

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I shoud have explained the exc better. It gets powered through the idiot light.

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

that would be why french cars never had an ignition warning light ..everyone but the french are idiots ....

6. 80chriscraftski

80chriscraftski Junior Member

As far as Ign, Im not sure I havent followed it all the way yet. I just know if I dont connect it Ign will not kick over the motor.

So R U saying that I should wire the starter solenoid wire directly to the Battery? I belive I already have a 4 gauge going from the battery to the selenoid. Then I have this smaller wire connected at the same juncion as the 4 gauge that was then routed to the alternator.

Yes there is a wire that is coming from the distributor that connected to the old alternators (actually regulators lead) Which I was told was the exc. ternimal.

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

what is normally done is that there is a lead from the battery positive to the starter solenoid....main feed for starter ...from the same bolt on the starter solenoid a wire goes to the alternator B+ as well as others for feeds to the rest of the electrical system of the boat .
    Still dont get the distributer bit ...unless its a live feed looped off the distibuter electronics ...if it has any .....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.