85 Ski Supreme Sierra bowrider

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Bigbopper, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Bigbopper

Bigbopper New Member

Hello, Newbie here.

I am going to look at a boat I am interested in purchasing. It's a 20' 1985 Ski Supreme Sierra bowrider with an Indmar 351 inboard on a really nice newer tandem axle bunk style trailer. I really like the hull design as it is a much deeper "V" than any other ski type boat I have looked at and appears it may be a liitle more usefull in slightly rougher water.
    Anyone have any info or knowledge on this boat?
    I will do my best to check for rot or soft spots in the floor. Is it possible to thoroughly check the stringers for rot without pulling the floor?
    Anything else to check for?

Thanks for any help!!

BB

2. sierrajb

sierrajb Junior Member

It's a Great Boat...Trust Me!

Just found this forum, so hope my reply gets to you soon enough.

I purchased the very same boat in 2001. I simply love it! Plenty of room for the family, great looks, solid build. Since then I've completely rebuild the engine, installed new carpet, etc. Yes, it takes the rough water much smoother than other inboards that are more shallow. You'll find the rooster tail in the middle of the wake a special challenge if you slalom. If you cruise, tube, wakeboard, etc. you've found the right boat for the right price.

Good luck to you and enjoy the boat!

3. Bigbopper

Bigbopper New Member

Thanks for the feedback! Boy, not to many places to use a boat near Fort Worth????

4. sierrajb

sierrajb Junior Member

Metro-lakes are rare, indeed!

The lakes around the metroplex (Dallas-Ft. Worth) are "okay" but not what I would call ideal conditions. These scarce metro-lakes are always brimming with too many boats and not enough shoreline, if you know what I mean. When we get serious, we'll take a 1-2 hour drive to a larger, less populated lake.

Did you purchase that '85 Sierra Supreme? If so, got any pics? Are you still needing information or guidance on the floor or other things for this boat? If so, I can certainly tell you almost everything you'll need to know. I've been through my Sierra Supreme completely. No area neglected.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  5. Bigbopper

Bigbopper New Member

I have not done anything about the boat yet, we went on holidays just after I posted and we just got back.
    I have reservations about this particular boat, it is in very rough condition and after doing a fair amout of research I have come to the conclusion that it is way overpriced.
    I really like the style, and am not afraid to take on a project as I think I'm capable of doing the work but the price would have to reflect the condition and I didn't get the impression that the current owner would consider the numbers I had in mind.
    I have a few crappy pictres I will attach, d you have any pics of yours? I would really like to see them if you do?

Cheers

BB

Attached Files:

6. sierrajb

sierrajb Junior Member

My Boat's Sibling!

Bigbopper,
    That boat looks just like mine except for a couple of small details: Mine is maroon where yours is blue, and my decals from 1985 are very different. It looks like the owner updated the decals and added ones from a newer model.

I have pics of mine, but it might take a couple of days to locate and download if you still want to compare.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the seller wanting for this boat? I believe the book value is between $3500 and $5400 depending upon quality, give or take a few bucks. I paid $1500 for mine in 2001, plus another $1500 for a brand new Roadrunner custom trailer (single axle, not tandem). Since then I've spent close to an additional $2500 on rebuilding or replacing (all my labor). Very few minor things left to replace or rebuild. Altogether, I have about $5500-6000 in it. It runs and handles like a new one (42 mph via GPS). There's no way I could find another boat that equals this one for the money. It's paid for, the family loves it, so it's a keeper!

Have you driven this boat? How's the engine, tranny, steering, stringers, flooring, etc.?

7. Bigbopper

Bigbopper New Member

I have not driven the boat, but I knoe it needs a floor and most likely stringers too....
    After doing some research, I confirmed that the present owner wants WAY too much for this boat. He is somewhat flexible but he's currently asking $8800 and stated that he s not interested in being "low-balled" at anywhere near $5000 which I think is still way too much.
    As much as I like this one, I have decided to continue looking as I can get a way newer boat in good condition for the same price.
    Looking for a 18.5ft Sea Ray with a Merc 4.3L.
    Thanks for the help!

BB

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  8. sierrajb

sierrajb Junior Member

Run, Don't Walk!

Yep! Forget that boat at that price. With all the work I have in my boat I doubt if I would ask $8800 for it! Let the seller sucker someone else.

Sea Ray makes a great boat, but like many I/O setups, they too often are underpowered. That 4.3L sounds very marginal. Before buying, load that boat up with people, supplies, etc.....then see how it pulls a skier out of the hole. With just you and the seller in the boat you won't notice a power shortage. But, if you pack it out like you would on a typical lake day....well, you might be disappointed at the struggle it will have with the 4.3L.

Of all the boats I've owned (outboard, I/O, inboard) I can truly say it was worth the wait to work my way up to an inboard. Never a lack of power, no regrets.

Happy Shopping!

JB

9. robertbruder

robertbruder New Member

Hey guys,

I just purchased my first Ski Supreme! It's a 1984 Ski Supreme SR.

I was wondering if either of you knew where to get Decals and such to restore it to original condition. Thanks!

10. sierrajb

sierrajb Junior Member

Original Decals Impossible

It's virtually impossible to find an original set of decals for our Supremes, especially this old. Even if you did, the quality would be very suspect. When (and if) I decide to replace mine, I plan on taking the boat to a nearby print shop that specializes in vinyl banners and signs (Sign-a-Rama, etc.). They now have the technology to take a digital photo of the decal you want to reproduce, clean up that photo with a computer, then print it on any color vinyl you wish. You might give that a try.

11. robertbruder

robertbruder New Member

Thanks for the reply. I will try that out.

12. peeda92

peeda92 New Member

Motor???

I just bought a "project boat" an 89' sierra supreme.

It does not have a motor..
    Does anyone know how much horsepower i will need just for riding out on the water. not for pulling skies or anything

also, is it better to have an outboard or an inboard engine?

Thanks in advance!

13. robertbruder

robertbruder New Member

The original motor is an Inboard, specifically a Ford 351 Windsor with Pleasure Craft Marine Headers. I would recommend this setup. Try www.skidim.com for parts.

You would be doing this boat a big disservice by putting an outboard motor on it.

14. sierrajb

sierrajb Junior Member

peeda92, your Sierra Supreme was designed specifically to accommodate the Indmar Ford 351 Windsor that produced 225-250 hp. I agree with robertbruder, and I would do my best to go back with that same setup. Marine engines, especially the older Windsor 351, can still be found and parts are readily available. You could go with a newer crate engine like a Chevy 350, fuel injected, etc. But....you'll spend thousands more than you need. Since you don't have a motor, I'm guessing you don't have a transmission, either. These came with the Velvet Drives, which are tanks that last forever and can be easily rebuilt if needed. There is a limit to the amount of hp you can put in front of those drives, so be sure to not overpower the drive. Enjoy your project!!

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'm amazed that two contributors to this thread re-appear on it after it is dormant for 6 years !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.