84 four winns

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by cplcamaro, Jun 6, 2004.

1. cplcamaro

cplcamaro New Member

I just took my boat for the first time this year. The plug was in and and all pitcocks and hoses tight. With the engine running I was taking on water like crazy. I got it back on the trailer. No water in oil and it started. Any suggestions where my leak is coming from. It has a GM V-6 and I have never had this problem before.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I assume it's a stern drive (I/O). Check your exhaust and shift cable bellows, they're the usual culprits.

3. cplcamaro

cplcamaro New Member

I had time to look closer since I first posted. And hook it up to water in my driveway. I have an OMC sterndrive. This also has power trim. The front starboard side has three bolts and it's bolted to the bottom of the engine below the sparkplugs like an upside down triangle. When idling everything is fine. When I increase rpms to where it pulls in more water it looks like it comes out of the bottom bolt and the engine overheats. I winterized the boat last september and did not use it after july 4th last year. I'm taking it to a repair shop I was just wanting a heads up on the possible problem.

4. Corpus Skipper

Ah, you had a freeze plug go bad. Be sure the replacement is brass, not plain steel. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change all of them.

5. cplcamaro

cplcamaro New Member

Thank you for that advise corpus skipper, I hope that's all it is. I was concerned I had cracked something. I'll let you know when I find out.

6. cplcamaro

cplcamaro New Member

Corpus skipper, good call it was a bad freeze plug. All is up and running thanks for your input.

7. Corpus Skipper

Glad to hear it. Have fun! :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.