70's Slickcraft boats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Ray, Jan 18, 2003.

1. saintroad

saintroad Junior Member

Just got back in the country. I sent you an email and will follow with some pics, sportman74. Sorry for the delays...I just got the ole' 73 Slickcraft/Robalo R230 CC w/ its 225HO Johnson Oceanrunner back in the water last Thursday in nearly a year. She was plagued with a few miscellaneous problems such as bad transom (which turned into a mild deck/stringer replacement & new gelcoating and complete exterior rerigging), then came the electrical & fuel line work, then a few changes, and some hefty trailer repairs (bearings, electrical, wheels, winch, etc) --- and she still floats! Imagine that!

It was a mixed bag of emotions, mostly due to the abudance of cost and time wasted trying to find a reliable glass shop in LA, MS after Katrina. :p

Anywho, at the end of the day...she looks something like this and was worth every penny and minute (almost!) getting this classic running again! Promise will take some "in the water" shots tomorrow. :D

Thanks,
    Andy

Picture was before recent trailer work.

[​IMG]

Here are some other pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sportman74

sportman74 New Member

!!!! Very nice boat i love it mine have the same form in the back but is a cuddy cab tomorrow im meeting with a friend who is going to sand the botton paint and painted with a fresh cream color it will look fantastic, oh by the way the boat handle pretty good in 4 and 5 feet waves
    thanks
    luis

3. DByers

DByers New Member

SS235 For Sale

Hey everyone! I am new to this site. I have been reading for a few days. Nice to find something so specific for help. Anyway, I have a SS235 that I bought from the orginal owner 5 years ago. It is in real nice shape and fishes extremely well. I put new seats in, new upholstery, and redid all of the brite work. The engine is a 302 and has been completely redone 3 years ago. It needs a little more work, but it is in very good condition. I have been thinking about selling it because I have another boat also and I cannot keep up. I only use it in August for the Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. I would like to get $7000 for her. If anyone is interested fell free to contact me via email @ byers78@hotmail.com. I have some digital pics I can send also. My Name is Dan Byers. Thanks!

4. IKOLA

IKOLA New Member

I got a Slick craft last year I beleive a 72. Its about 19 ft. I am having trouble finding out what kind it is. Can anyone help. It has a 327 Volvo penta motor, and thats all I know. Its definetly a fixer upper. I'm tryin to get pictures of what it originally looked like.

Brianikola@gmail.com

5. dandio

dandio New Member

dandio here new guy. getting back into boats. i'm lookin at 1970 215v, 165 merccuiser. w trlr. $2950.00. seller won't budge. latest registraion was 1996. owner says he bought the slickcraft four years ago. the current owner never saw the boat run,but took the sellers word thst the boat ran good. i still like the boat. my plan is to buy it. and begin a restore. my fist plan of attack is to have the merccruiser gone through, ie; alignment, seals, filters, fluids,plugs ,points,condenser,etc. the hull looks to be fair to good. lots of teak. vinyl looks to be original. royal blue maybe? same color of carpet in cuddy. fuel cap missing. canvas in tack, could be original. lookin for input.

6. Captain Ray

Captain Ray New Member

We have owned a SS235 for about 8 yrs. Completely refurbished in and out. recently had trouble with the out drive water pump. we had a reputable marine dealer repair it but at 2000 rpm and above the engine heats up. any thoughts????

7. bnjdavid

bnjdavid New Member

71 Slickcraft ss 180

I have an original SS180 bow rider with an Evinrudue 150. Cool boat. anyone else got one?

8. SusieRI

SusieRI New Member

Hubby is the proud third owner of a 1968 SS235. Surprisingly enough, we know the other two owners as well. Just purchased last fall, M I N T condition, and appears to be all original except for the 2-3 yo Volvo engine. He's estatic, and neither one of us can wait until she's in the water on 4/1 (nor can we wait for her to be OUT of the back yard)! I realize she's not a "70," but close enough I hope.

9. bnjdavid

bnjdavid New Member

Backyard Boat

I agree that boats are better in the water than in the yard. I have been tuning mine and looking forward to warmer weather and some rock cod fishing.

10. durkspice

durkspice New Member

Back yard boat

I too have a boat that I am waiting to get out of the backyard. I inherited what the title says is a 1959 Slickcraft. It is of wood lapstrake construction, with a hard "fiberglas type" lining on the interior. It is 17' long with the original 1959 40 HP Johnson outboard on it. I have neveer seen anything like this, and am having difficulty finding any information on early Slickcrafts. Any help would be appreciated.

11. SusieRI

SusieRI New Member

have you checked out http://groups.msn.com/70sSlickcraftownersgroup? Lots of great stuff there. Also, there's some other historical information around the internet, just google SlickCraft and see what you come up with! Congrats on your new "acquisition," and enjoy!

12. durkspice

durkspice New Member

Thanks SusieRI! I will give that a try. I am new to this site and have to feel my way around. Your 235 was made when they cared about quality. I owned a 1969 SS185 at one time.

13. dutchvanputten

dutchvanputten New Member

1959 SlickCraft 17' Capitan (RARE)

What you have there is a rare 1959 SlickCraft 17' Capitan. I know of only one other and that is being restored by Jim Shotwell in Pennsylvania at James Craft. They were originally black and the only lapstrake SlickCrafts every made.

Contact me at my work address and I will send you a brochure photo of it.

Geoffrey Reynolds
    Director
    Joint Archives of Holland
    Hope College
    Holland, Michigan
    reynoldsg@hope.edu

14. durkspice

durkspice New Member

Geoffrey,

Thank-you for the information. It will greatly help!

Durkspice

15. dutchvanputten

dutchvanputten New Member

1958 SlickCraft 17' Crusader 200 Image

Durkspice,

Attached is the image the Crusader 200 that appeared in 1958 SlickCraft brochure, and was the only year this boat was offered. I originally thought it was 1959. Enjoy!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.