Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 12-31-2015, 02:15 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 10
42' Carbon Fiber - "Passagemaker Lite"

After reading and following this forum for a long while (thank you for such a great resource) I became enthralled by progressive powerboat design. The purpose of posting this thread is to post the fuel economy results of the boat I bought and how its design has either advantages or drawbacks.

The things that inspired me were the ability to go long distances in a boat while living simply and being frugal with fuel consumption. (enabling the user to get out on the water more without denting the pocketbook so much)

I had always loved the 'go anywhere design' Tad Roberts' Passagemaker Lite but knew that a 'newly' built one would likely be out of my price range forever. As I scoured the used boat market, I had always looked for single diesel straight shaft boats that could sleep a few people and could be single handed and hopefully trailered to cut down on transport costs. The design I had always linked to extreme fuel efficiency was narrow beam, lengthy LWL, and high ratio of beam to LWL. In this case 7.5'(at its widest) by 42' = 5.6. (with the low wake, as I understand it, being a tell-tale sign of good fuel efficiency)

Here are a few links that I always looked at and saw beautiful design efficiency:

Blue Whale overhead:

Nigel Irens - Molly Ban:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EltG5I-xMk4

http://www.nigelirens.com/wp-content...Ban-Ext-01.jpg

Dashew FPB 64:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYE39_0wRk

http://avatarlogs.com/wp-content/upl...ch-day-148.jpg

At nights I had been blissfully perusing boats, all the wile understanding completely that passagemaking under power is often a wealthy persons past-time due to significant costs. Then one boat in particular caught my eye. It was long, light, efficiently powered, and wasn't $1MM. I had watched this boat sit for a while looking for its perfect owner (as custom boats often require) and after a lots of deliberation and the all-critical-approval from the wife, I decided to give the owner a call. I flew out, rode in it, and ended up buying it. (I am well aware it is not nearly as blue-water capable as the boats it emulates such as Tad's PML and Dashew's FPB.)

The specs of the boat are as follows:

42' Carbon Fiber, fiberglass, and linear foam construction - Total weight ~ 5,000 lbs - Designed by Dick Newick
4 fuel tanks - 50 gal/each (200 total)
Yanmar 4LHA-DTP turbo diesel - 158 continuous rated HP

I have been really happy with the performance of the boat and am continually getting more in-depth understading of the various on-board systems.
I cant wait to push its boundaries farther and farther along the pacific coast and beyond!

Here are some pics and the fuel economies I have been testing against the below performance curves and fuel consumption chart:

http://www.yanmarmarine.eu/theme/yan...r-4LHA-DTP.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
42' Carbon Fiber - "Passagemaker Lite"-newick-fuel-efficiency.jpg  

Last edited by scott diego : 01-04-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 PM

Pics here - uploading
Attached Thumbnails
42' Carbon Fiber - "Passagemaker Lite"-sea-world-marina.jpg  42' Carbon Fiber - "Passagemaker Lite"-img_8937_zpswlh1ws85.jpg  42' Carbon Fiber - "Passagemaker Lite"-3626.55987389061caeb50d5e34b1.xl.jpg  

42' Carbon Fiber - "Passagemaker Lite"-3626.55987389061caeb50d5e349d.xl.jpg  
Old 01-02-2016, 04:41 AM

Rep: 399 Posts: 777
Interesting boat.

Look like http://www.stadtdesign.com/designs/p...r/fineliner_40

The main problem of fuel saving is that it has a cost...

The cost may be reduced speed, reduced comfort or increased price (or a combination of). It is up to the future owner to choose what option he prefers.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:22 AM

Rep: 693 Posts: 2,102
i like your boat too scott Have you got any videos of it underway? I was thinking about building something like this next perhaps...
Old 01-02-2016, 11:54 AM
Boat Designer

Rep: 2281 Posts: 2,272
Thanks for posting this Scott, nice boat.

I think I was vaguely aware of this boat, but any further detail will be very interesting. Particularly your impressions on seakeeping and/or comfort at sea.

I have lots of questions, feel free to ignore them. What's the beam? How do you know the boat's weight? Is 5000 pounds with full fuel, 1/2, none? What is the gear reduction and propeller size?

Be aware that actual fuel consumption can only be measured in the boat while under way. The theoretical curve provided by the manufacturer is different than what the engine will consume in operation.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:06 AM

Attached is a pic of the boat out of the water sitting on the trailer.

I am relaying the weight from the Seller who had the boat made. A seasoned boat builder (paying to have custom boats made for him) I believe that weight to be without fuel. Also, when towing the boat across the country the 'weight' felt correct, but I have not independently verified.

The beam is 7.5 feet at its widest point. There is a lengthy keel that protects the running gear.

The transmission is a zf hurth 1.5. By all means ask as many questions as you wish, I am happy to participate on this forum.

On seakeeping, I am still getting comfortable taking it out into bluewater. In head on seas it handles them like a champion. Been in a short interval 8-10' before heading back in. Abeam seas are where I am still stretching her legs.

I will report back when I am able to take a vid running the boat and post some more pics when I am on a proper computer.
Attached Thumbnails
42' Carbon Fiber - "Passagemaker Lite"-image.jpg  

Last edited by scott diego : 01-04-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc View Post
Interesting boat.

Look like http://www.stadtdesign.com/designs/p...r/fineliner_40

The main problem of fuel saving is that it has a cost...

The cost may be reduced speed, reduced comfort or increased price (or a combination of). It is up to the future owner to choose what option he prefers.
Wow I hadn't seen that before. The design looks very similar! Beautiful boat.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:19 AM

Here is a pic showing the profile.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Flight Ready

Rep: 1362 Posts: 13,612
Nice looking boat! Like the idea behind it.....
Old 01-04-2016, 12:03 PM

I plan at some point to install a diesel flowmeter to really pin down the fuel efficiency at each RPM step.

Question: I am going to put a little 'half tower' on the boat like the one below:

I am debating changing out the existing U-flex mechanical throttle to electronic controls (for the ease of adding the second station):

Seastar I6800

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...ronic-control/

OR: maybe just using this system and keeping the mechanical controls:

What do you guys think? (the increased cost aside)
Old 07-21-2016, 01:58 AM

Have the fuel management system working (Maretron FFM100). Here are a couple pics of the fuel economy. I was pleasantly surprised.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-21-2016, 01:59 AM

Picture 2
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-21-2016, 06:57 AM

Rep: 608 Posts: 1,669
I like, its probably cheaper to run than a sailboat.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:03 AM

Rep: 1009 Posts: 4,506
Location: Conn in summers , Ortona FL in winter , with big dock & room for O'nite stop .
"I like, its probably cheaper to run than a sailboat."

Perhaps but it has the accomodation of a sail boat ,where most living is done down in the hull.

Makes for a very seaworthy vessel , but sadly most boaters seem to be looking for Roommarians .

2 or 3 story beach balls with vast above deck accomodations on the shortest WL , for the lowest dock bills.

Efficient boats seem to have a tiny market.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:42 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 5
Interesting fuel burn numbers. What is the maximum speed--is that the 2nd picture?

Douglas