42' Carbon Fiber - "Passagemaker Lite"

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by scott diego, Dec 31, 2015.

1. scott diego

scott diego Junior Member

maximum speed is 25 mph at ~3300 RPMS

2. downunder

downunder Junior Member

Example of long range fuel efficient vessel built in alloy.
    When I first saw it I thought it was a Dashew.

If you are happy to cruise at around 7 knots, an ideal speed to drag some lures on the way to Fiji, the range extends to around 7000 nm @ 0.53 lpnm. At 8.1 knots the fuel rate increases marginally to 0.67 lpnm.

Economy Plus, powered by a 90hp, four cylinder Beta diesel. But don’t be fooled, this little engine provides every bit of power the LRC 58 needs.

http://boatmags.com/dickey-lrc58-wheelhouse/

http://www.artnautica.com/designs/long-range-cruiser-58

https://www.facebook.com/Artnautica-Yacht-Design-Ltd-300243140002724/?fref=ts covers build of prototype. 3 now built with Dickey building the last.

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Very impressive fuel use numbers. 6mpg at 15 mph is really good for that size boat or any boat that has significant accommodations.

Efficiency is a much bantered about term. Real efficiency has to include all costs of ownership and not just fuel use. Design, first cost to build, maintenance, dockage, insurance, etc., etc. Of all similar offerings I've seen though, this is most impressive. So far, no super high efficiency designs have been able to gain any significant traction in the marketplace. Some are even miserable failures in efficiency of total cost.

4. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

terrible cubic ft of living space/marina by the foot mooring fees

just saying

but it looks like it can be trailered OK

5. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Nice boat! I wonder if it would use much less fuel at slower speeds with a much smaller engine?

6. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

No doubt it would as would most all other boats. The main objection might be that this boat was designed for a particular set of performance characteristics and much expense in design, building and usefulness would be wasted for no reasonable return on investment.

7. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I was just wondering as my last boat weighed 4 times that and used considerably less fuel at 7 knots. A 43' 20000lbs sailing cat (in my picture). That's when using one 24 hp engine with no headwind. So at that speed it seems very inefficient. But of course we only had a 10k top speed not 25K! Most likely at the higher speeds this boat is designed to be operated it is efficient, but I have nothing to compare that to.

8. scott diego

scott diego Junior Member

Someone asked about fuel economy at slower speeds.

A few data points
    7.5mph = 14.7 mpg
    5.75 mph = 20 mpg
    20 mph = 5 mpg

Such a fun boat to run all day fishing and diving way offshore and not even worry about costs (split 2/3 ways)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.