31ft Mahogany Sportcruiser

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sportcruiser, Jun 11, 2006.

1. sportcruiser

sportcruiser VanderWood

Hi everybody,

I just signed up at boatdesign.net and would like to inform you about my project boat: a 31 ft mahogany sportcruiser.

Summary:
    The construction method is cold molded wood core. No steaming and bending but clue 'n stitch all covered in epoxy with fiber inlay on both exterior and interior. The boot will have the looks of a 50ties and 60ties italian and US mahogony classic, such as Riva, Chris Craft Hacker and Car Wood. The boat will be finished with chrome details. For a propulsion system I chose a Berkeley Jet drive an Olds 455 engine which was built in the 70ties a Berkeley Packajet.

If you are intersted you can check my weblog at www.bootbouw.blog2blog.nl

[​IMG]

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

what a neeto boat! exactly what kind of mahogony is it? and what type of varnish do you use?and is that a wooden car in the background?,,,longliner

3. sportcruiser

sportcruiser VanderWood

materials

As mahogany I used a vineer that is clued on top of a plywood/pine/plywood sandwhich structre. No varnish yet. Epoxy coat uncluding a glass fiber inlay (280gr/m2) that totaly disapears when thoroughly soaked in epoxy. Final topcoat will be UV resistant 2K epoxy coat.

The car is from someone I share the workspace with. It is a Renault typ 4, somewhere mid seventios i guess.

4. Crawford

Crawford Junior Member

Hi,

You are incredibly close to building the boat i am in the early stages of designing - a 50's/60's Riva/Chris-Craft inspired powerboat.

I'm hoping to make something of ~20' for easier towing, that will still be useable on open water, perhaps even offshore. Slow progress though!

Where do you plan to use yours?

Did you buy any hull plans, or take measurements off existing boats?

Very impressed and fascinated by your work!!!!

Crawf

5. sportcruiser

sportcruiser VanderWood

Inspiration sources

Hi Crawf,

As inspiration sources I have indeed Riva, Chris craft, Garwood, etc. You can find links to my inspiration sources on my weblog at the right side.

I intend to use boat on the lakes and maybe some small seas. On the Northern part of the Netherlands we have a small sea that is enclosed by mainland and a strip of islands, that would ideal for holidays.

On the inland lakes we have special skiing area that are marked. All other areas are speed limited.

I made the plans and cut-outs for the frames myself and already have a request if I would sell those plans.

[​IMG]

Greetings,

Klaas

6. seeds

seeds Smartass Member

wow, beautiful boat! i was fascinated by the weblog you've kept. i'm wondering if there's any way you can provide a copy of the plans you used or made. i'm very interested in building one of these boats myself.

7. sportcruiser

sportcruiser VanderWood

Hi Seeds,

please send me a direct email at sportcruiser@home.nl for further contact for exchanging attachements with more details about the plans.

Greetings,

Klaas

8. roeslerjd

roeslerjd Junior Member

I have a project in mind but a bit smaller around 20 feet I think (more of a runabout)... but it still on the drawing board (barely... I have a side silhouette and started on the stern). I am also thinking of using jet drive propulsion, and am putting a few of the things I have seen here into the boat... one of the main ideas is the platform that is on the "Fast Commuter" that A****** Boats has in his gallery... with the styling of the "Cobra"... I like how it looks fast but still has a nostalgic look to it. One other thing I am thinking of trying it have in a one of those retractable hard tops that Volvo has (my skin will need it), but I am still trying to work out the mechanics of it and how to integrate it in to the boat so it looks nice. When I get some more design work done I will have to post some pictures.

9. sportcruiser

sportcruiser VanderWood

Hi Jason,

I am a structureal / architectural engineer myself too and this is my first real boat building project. If you have a multi-disciplinaire attitude and persistance you will manage. Once you have a top and side view in CAD you can generate the several cross sections needed for the frames.

Good luck with the further design proces,

Klaas

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.