1980's Power Boat advise needed

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by CARIB, Jan 19, 2008.

1. CARIB

CARIB New Member

Hi,
    I am new to your forum and have had little experience boating. First and only boat many years ago was a 16ft.

I have been reading a few posts on problems with stringer rot in boats of the 1980's era. It just happens that I am interested in purchasing a 1988 24ft Wellcraft Cabin Cruiser with i/o rebuilt mercruiser with 5 hrs for 7K. After reading about members experiences in the gutting of the boats for repairs to transoms and stringers I am having second thoughts about purchasing this age boat.

My question is, is it reasonable to believing that a boat of this age that will not require structural repairs?

Please advise. Thanks.

2. 21 Hawaiian

21 Hawaiian Junior Member

Depends on how they took care of it. Just find someone who knows boats in your area. Ask them to take a look at it with you. If it has transom rot. Sometimes it hard to see.If its a well kept boat .Most of the time they are not rotted. Good luck!

3. CARIB

CARIB New Member

Thanks 21 Hawaiian, thats good advice, I will get someone to inspect.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.