1968 safe-t-mate restoration question.

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Ifelovr, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Ifelovr

Ifelovr Junior Member

I bought this 1968 safe-t-mate awhile back and I want to restore it. I also want it to hold its value. I've looked on line for this particular boat and have found very little information on it other than it was manufactured in Cadilac Michigan by Four Winns. I would think this boat is pretty rare and well worth the time, effort and cash to make it look like it did 43 years ago. It has a 1975 Chrysler 45 hp that I finally have running great. I don't have a lot of cash to put into it. All i want to do to it is clean up the aluminum trim, clean up the chrome the best i can, paint it and put new seats in it. I'll be doing all the work myself and any advice I can get would be great. Like how to clean up the chrome without making it worse and what kind of paint to use. I'll have pictures up today I hope. Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. fishtail

fishtail New Member

Hello,
    How did your restoration go?
    I just got a used Saf T Mate from a friend.

3. Ifelovr

Ifelovr Junior Member

It didn't go as well as I had hoped it would as far as the paint goes. I thought I would be replacing the transom but I did the coin tap and it "sounded" solid. I also talked to a several people with transom knowledge and they pretty much said the same thing. "Put the motor in the up locked and shake it and look for flex in the transom". I'm sure it is all original and should be replaced but my kids have been hounding me and helping out as much as they can to get it done. All I have left is to wet sand the hull and finish installing the chrome and windshield. The paint I used was Petit easypoxy. It is an excellent paint to put on a boat. I'll post a thread on my experience with it. If you decide to restore your Saftmate, the paint WILL have lead in it. I found out after I was about finished with most of the sanding. Post some pictures of your boat, I'd love to see it. I'll get some pictures of mine as soon as I get it completed.

Take care

4. fishtail

fishtail New Member

Thanks for the suggestions on the paint. I have looked on ebay and some other vendors and it seems to be a very affordable paint with good reputation.

How many gallons did you use? Did you brush it or spray it?

Here is my Safe T Mate Details:

• Friend of mine got it as a gift and never took it out
    • I asked him to let me keep it for a few weeks.
    • It had a 1966 20hp chrysler and two troll motors, but unfortunately all are rusted pretty bad. he left the boat outside for last 4 years
    • After cleaning her up and patching a 0.25 x 2 inch gash in the hull, took her out for a float last weekend. She passed!
    • Seized pistons now unstuck. Points, coils, condensor were rusted bad! Still working on it. Got spark on one cylinder

I have since gotten both of the troll motors to respond via a car battery. But for whatever, very intermittently. Hope to find a good troll battery on sale soon.

Here's a pic of float test with my two sons floating out on a 100 ft rope LOL (no oars) :p!

PS... mine only has half the windshield as it looks like a seat there. I will get interior pics up soon.

[​IMG]

5. fishtail

fishtail New Member

Best yet.... he is selling it to me ... I don't even want to tell you the price yet since it is so low. CRazy what value people associate with things... or don't.

6. Lake Sherwood

Lake Sherwood New Member

saf-t-mate

I have a 1966 saf-t-mate commander made before Four winns bought them. Engine is original 40hp evinrude and runs great, all fiberglass. The seats have the original logo for saf-t-mate in very good condition.Boat color is a beautiful deep burgandy. I also have the original tip up trailer as well. Can anybody give me an idea as to the value of boat?
    This boat is water ready! I'm thinking $3500 -$4000 is this realistic?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.