1965 Delta Holiday Wooden Boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Dawn M, Nov 22, 2007.

1. dwworkman

dwworkman New Member

102_0223.jpg

1955 Delta, I have no idea what model it is.

2. Barnfinder

Barnfinder New Member

I know that this thread is a little old but thought I would try as I am trying to find a name for my mid-fifties mahogany ply boat and I am thinking it might be a delta. If any of the others here that have Delta's could have a look and maybe send me some pictures(floor and transom especially) I'd really appreciate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gallagher

gallagher Junior Member

Delta

I looks like a Delta to me. It has many things that look just like my Delta Sexy. The bright work looks like mine. The padded trim around the interior looks like mine.

The plank look on the upper deck is hand painted stripes on my Delta. Take a close look at yours and see if it is hand painted.

Mine is 1957, I'd say yours is older because the rub rails don't wrap around the transom (I was told that is something they did in later years). I would also think that the motor is the orginal unit and year. Your boat looks great. There are pictures of my boat on facebook. Sorry I don't know how to post the link. Just search for Jay Gallagher Belle, MO (It may be easier to search facebook using ham radio call sign N0VHN. Don't get the zero in the call sign confused for an O).

I have been working on getting all the boat systems working. This summer I plan to run the boat as is, then next winter start on making it pretty again.

The boat was in storage since early 70's. I got the motor to run for about 10 min's, then it blew up. The number two rod bearings were rusted and didn't turn. The motor went crunch and all was scrap. The pictures are of the unit after rebuild/replacment of the power head.

4. Barnfinder

Barnfinder New Member

Thanks for the confirmation Jay and I will look you up on facebook to see more pics. Yes the deck tops are hand painted I believe with the white line outlining the yellow( is it indian yellow) stain/paint. Only two little flaws to the original condition of the boat are about a foot long piece of aluminum rub rail trim missing on the back corner and of course the vinyl tube coping running around the two cockpits are needing replacement.

Question about your boat....where did you find any markings/plates/stamps/numbers etc on the inside of the boat? I have only found a small aluminum tag(half of one) that was tacked on the stem way up under the bow deck. It had something like SN-019 or something. Have not been able to find one other marking on it.

The search continues. I am having the Merc gone over soon (bad starter) and hope to spruce the Orphan up and get her in the water this summer. Like you...full restore job will come later.

Thanks again.

Tim

5. Barnfinder

Barnfinder New Member

Ok Jay I found you on Facebook and did see a few pics of the Delta. I wonder if you have any more of the interior/decking/transom etc? I believe that the Sexy might be a bit shorter than my boat ...maybe the hollywood? That tube coping and dash(what little I could see) certainly is the same. The windshield is a bit different.
    I sure love that Merc. She must fly along pretty well with that engine?

6. gallagher

gallagher Junior Member

Delta Sexy

I don't have any more pictures at this time. I will get some this summer. The pics I have came from fast day at the end of boat season last year.

I know the boat is a Delta Sexy because my uncle bought it new. That is him in the pictures on facebook. It was a rush day as all I wanted to do was take my uncle for a spin since he hadn't seen the boat run in years.

When I get some more detailed pictures you will really be able to see how our boats compare. I have not found any tags or numbers.

My uncle got tired of doing the varnish so he painted the hull. I hope I can get the paint off and put it back to natural color. The layers that make up the plywood are thick, so I'm in hopes I can save the wood...If not will have to go back to painted hull.

I have not ran the boat since tuneing the motor. Last year was 29 MPH measured with GPS.

7. dwworkman

dwworkman New Member

1955 Delta

102_0222.jpg

102_0223.jpg

102_0221.jpg

100_0539.jpg

1 person likes this.
  8. Ron Hansen

Ron Hansen Mahogany Delta

1957 Delta

Hello everyone. I am a new member. In 1957 my father bought a molded mahogany Delta with tail fins. I am enclosing some photos. Thankfully, my father took 35 mm slides and so i have good quality images. The boat is long gone but i am trying to research the company to find out if any more like this one were built. He bought it in Omaha at the boat show. It was on display, floating in a tank, at the auditorium, and the dealer said that it had just come from the Chicago boat show where it had won a first place prize. It started out with a 45 hp merc and later recieved an 80 or 85 hp merc. Note the two piece glass windshield and the storage compartments and grab rails on the back of the front seat. Any information that anyone could share concerning this model would be appreciated. Thank you.......Ron Hansen ....Omaha Ne.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. bill1234

bill1234 New Member

1958 Delta

Hey folks,just joined up,my first time posting.I'm happy to find some info on here in regards to the classic delta boats.I just picked one up,original,complete.The boat came with everything still inside it from right around 1960.Floatation pads,,seat pads,,water skis,manuals,you name it.I'll get some pics up here soon.

10. Barnfinder

Barnfinder New Member

Hey ...another Delta owner!!! Do you have any pictures(especially the interior construction and seating)? And.....can you tell me if you are able to find a small metal plate tacked on the stem/keel up under the front deck?

11. Kazulin

Kazulin Junior Member

Hi Dawn M:
    We are also located in Ontario Canada. Even though we design and manufacture our own line, we also have a long history of restoration.
    Perhaps we could be of assistance to you.
    http://www.kazulinboats.com
    info@kazulinboats.com
    Kazulin

12. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

If you like varnished wood.
    After you sand thru the top layer or have too many color changes to live with.

Veneer & vacuum bagging will put a beautiful thin layer of any wood you like back on the boat again. Expensive but beautifull. :)

13. gallagher

gallagher Junior Member

Delta Sexy 1957

Last summer we did mechanical check sea trails. We plan on doing cosmetics this winter. Strip test photo shows the results of using stripper on areas were varnish was and was not present under the white paint. I hope someone can offer up an easy method as to how to remove the white paint from the grain. I also need to find someone that can make a new windshield as the one I have is broken on the starboard corner.

Notice: That the rub rail extends around the corner of the stern. I was told by someone that worked at Delta that early boats didn’t have the rub rail on the stern. The boat pictured is 1957 production. I’m sure the “S” stands for “Sexy”.

The stripes on the decks where hand painted then varnished over.

Attached Files:

14. woody1973

woody1973 Junior Member

trying to restore a 55 Delta

I just stumbled on this site and was interested to hear some feedback on a boat that I have that my father bought new in 55. It is a 55 Delta but went I looked at the title, it didn't have any of the model names that you had mentioned (sexy, holiday....). It says Delta Deluxe on a tag close to the rear of the boat and a manufacture # on the title. It is 14' with the 2 seperated seating arrangements. I beleive the motor went out in 57 so it has a 57 evinrude 35hp motor on it.

I am 38 and learned how to ski on this and my hope is to have it restored so my son can learn to ski on it as well. It pulled and handled like a dream back in the day!

Any insight on how to decide what model this boat is would be greatly appreciated. I also read that someone had just restored one - what kind of cost was involved in this? Mine has been out of the water since 1990 and under roof.

John

15. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Welcome to the site John.
    Can you post some photos of your Delta?
    (Click 'Go Advanced' and 'Attachments')

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.