10' Peterborough?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by RockLaker, Apr 22, 2006.

1. jtemagami

jtemagami jtemagami

Peterborough/Alcan connection

Just read this thread on October 3rd, 2007 so forgive me if I'm a bit late. Alcan Canada Products Limited acquired what was left of Peterborough Boat in the 70's.(still trying to track down some dates) Years ago I was trying to hunt down some info on a wooden Peterborough model and spoke with someone at Alcan. They helped as much as they could but it turned out to be a dead end. Alcan did maintain an archive at the time but unfortunately precious little survived about wooden Peterborough boats. I suspect there is info on aluminum and fiberglass boats if someone had the energy to dig. Hope this helps.

2. Jet Star

Jet Star New Member

1973 Peterborough Jet Star

Just found this form. I am the original owner of this Jet Star (10’ 6”fiberglass), bought in 1973, with a 1965 4 cylinder Mercury 500E & two blade bronze speed prop. I have just finished a complete restoration of the boat & a complete overhaul of the motor at Sharbot Lake Marina Ont. Trailer is a 1973 Gator also fully restored.
    Has been clocked at 60 mph & is a Great ski boat!!!
    Boat & trailer will be going up for sale today $7000.

Attached Files:

3. Speed King

Speed King New Member

wow

wow you have done the bes restoration of the boat i have ever seen!
    i dont really believe the 60 mph but still it cant be far off!
    i just wanted to say good job! and also good luck selling it for $7000 ;) lol
    it may be worth it, but i dont think it'll happen.

4. Jet Star

Jet Star New Member

Hey S K
    Thanks for the compliment; lots of work went into the boat & motor. As for the 60 mph you are right. I rounded it off. The boat was set up by Joe Carr who owned Carr’s Marina at the time & raced tunnel boats with the 1st 300 hp outboard Mercs at the time (1973). He clocked it at 59.5 mph, so what can I say. As for the price you may be right again, the boat is being sold as an antique & the antique boat dealers I have talked to have not found another 1973 Jet Star, being the 1st year that it was made. So they said it is very rare, they also said the same thing about the 1965 50 hp Mercury, very rare & in out of the box condition. 2 of the dealers said that with the boat & the motor together & the fact that most of the owners wimp out (their words not mine) at 20 to 40 hp & in perfect running condition, it was extremity rare. So they said to ask $7000. I never said it was firm, just following the advice of 4 reputable dealers.
    Again thanks for the compliment & good luck with yours, got a pic of your Jet Star post so we can see it.

If you want to run 2nd, follow me!!! :)

5. RockLaker

RockLaker Previous Member

Wow, this old thread!

Things have changed since I got into these boats. The red one and yellow one are gone, and I picked up a mostly-original white '77-'78 Jet Star. This one actually says what it is and hasn't been painted over with a brush and Tremclad.

Last weekend I mounted a '93 Johnson 40 but even though I added 2" of elevation on the transom, the long shaft outboard didn't work on the short shaft boat. Threw two huge roosters and only topped out in the low 30s.

New plan is to make a 5" transom elevator to run the motor at the proper depth. And while I'm at it, I might take a look and consider replacing the floor as it's rotten.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RL.

6. boataddict

boataddict New Member

JetStar,

Is the little green 73 still for sale? We spoke last year, is there a number I can reach you at?

Thanks,
    Terry

7. t-rod-hotwheels

t-rod-hotwheels New Member

just acquired a 1972 jetstar 10' whith a white and chrome 40 merk the boat is red with 2 black stripes it is original colour and the ID plate reads-fv-1-106-1 . limitations--EXEMPT--serial-no--FZ-1-718-made in canada.canadian boat MFG. DOT-11645. this info is all emboss on ID plate, I was told it used to be a great lake huron racer in the 70" and has been in storage since early 80' till now,any info on this boat would be great. may sell or trade????

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  8. ADKBoater

ADKBoater New Member

Well it has been since 2006 :rolleyes: and I am finally getting my Peterborough/Alcan Jet Star on the water. I am now looking for some original parts for this boat or information leading to the parts. I am most specifically looking for the seats and any information as to how they are correctly mounted in the boat. Any new pictures would be great especially ones showing how they are fitted into the Jet Star. Thanks again for any help with this matter.

9. slantnose

slantnose New Member

10. strat81

strat81 New Member

I have a Jetstar for sale yes.

11. canadianboy

canadianboy New Member

what is everyone's max speed

12. strat81

strat81 New Member

I am unsure of my max speed but have read previous that guys have GPS'd speeds close to 50mph running 50hp outboards, I have a 35hp on mine so no where near that top end, but fast enough for a 10ft boat i can assure you that.

13. strat81

strat81 New Member

I restored mine starting last summer and am almost finished, repaired the fiberglass and refinished the hull and deck with poly-urethane, new seats and floor with new carpet, no fuel tank but can run a portable, looks good and is very solid now. comes with a solid road worthy trailer and a 1976 35hp johnson

14. jetstaredmonton

jetstaredmonton New Member

Here's some pics of my Jetstar. Im thinking of selling it when the summer comes to an end. Does anyone know what i can get for this boat?

Attached Files:

15. rodexxx

rodexxx New Member

hi

hi mate,can i ask u question about your jetstar ?
    i own 1 and need the windshield dimension and interrested in buying theses
    kinds of boats &parts :)
    thx for a reply
    Robert,Valleyfield,QC
    jodoin@live.ca

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.