Tsunami: inter-island transportation & replacement boats

Discussion in 'Post-Tsunami' started by Stephen Ditmore, Jan 1, 2005.

1. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

Boats for Banda Aceh

Hello,

I' m German and worked for 10 years in Indonesia as an advisor for shipbuilding. Last we build gas tankers to Germanischer Lloyd standard in Jakarta. (2500 own people, 1500 subcontractors). In the shipyard I was associated with had also a small fibere glass devision (about 250 people).

Indonesia has definitly the design and technical capability to build small fishing vessels in big numbers in a short time. They have theire own shipbuilding University and Politechnicum (and even an operating towing tank) in Surabaya. Their gradutaes have an acceptable standard.

What is needed here in this situation is not a designs, money etc. it is the the political decision "to build such boats and distibute them".
    In this we could assist Indonesia a lot since their political decission making process is in our (westnern minds) sometime very long and complicated.

If we could find a way through our contacts to help Indonesia, we would accomlished what every aid organisation is dreaming of, "we helped them that they could help themself".

Best Regards

Rudi

2. Bazwood

Bazwood New Member

Boat Donation

I have given your details to the organiser in our town so I hope they will contact you if all goes to plan. Thank you for the information

3. donny_tedjo

donny_tedjo Junior Member

Re: Rudi [Boats for Banda Aceh]

Hi Rudi.

Of course it was complicated over here, if you would donated the boat through the goverment.
    But i have heard the Merci org. allready works for it
    Why not trying to used our yards, we have many design mould ready for used!!! from 3GT to 45GT/65GT or 7m-24m.

You could also made the boat there and just pay the rent charges at lower rent rate als in malaysian.
    Not to forget the labor cost and skilled labor could only find in java area specialy in jakarta, surabaya.
    The transport /delivery cost to Aceh is also not much higher than if you send it from malaysia also.
    At least the transfer know-how of FRP maintenance to the acehnese fisherman could be easier, since we have experienced with them before.

Donny Tedjo
    donny_tw@hotmail.com
    http://sg.geocities.com/donny_tedjo/

Ich war mals student und studieren in deutschland :)
    Du kannst auch mit die "Indonesian-German Disaster Relief Committee" welsche hat koooperation in Aceh.
    die addresee ist
    Gedung Perkumpulan Ekonomi Indonesia-Jerman (EKONID)
    Jl. H. Agus Salim No 115, Jakarta 10310, Indonesia
    Tel. 021-3154685, Fax. 021-3155276
    E-Mail: help@indogerrm-direct.org
    Contact Person: Mr. Jan Rönnfeld

In falls du wills kommt in Regierung tender oder andere frage ueber den tsunami gebiet, du kannst an diesen addrese frage.

Sekretariat tim Rekonstruksi Aceh
    National Development Planning Board (Bappenas)
    Jalan Taman Suropati No. 2
    Jakarta-10310
    Tel.: 006221/3 92 44 46; Fax: -33 47 79
    (S.M.)

Attached Files:

4. Neven

Neven Junior Member

> Here's a little information going around the composite 'family' of which
    > we are `related' to. I'd like to share with you. Alan Harper and the
    > big boys in the industry have already got together and help is along the
    > way. From what we understand, their way of handling the situation is
    > probably the most sensible and economically viable thing to do.
    >
    > Hope information is helpful.
    >
    > Regards
    > Beno
    >
    > Beno Seow (Ms)
    >
    > Mobile : 65 98221801
    > PH: 65 6 8621801 (3lines)
    > DID: 65 6 8622656
    >
    >
    > Dynaglass Reinforced Plastic Pte Ltd
    >
    > 2 Tuas Drive 2 Singapore 638637 Tel: (65) 6862 1801 Fax:
    > (65) 6861 821
    >
    >
    > - 27 January 2005 -
    > Composite companies help tsunami survivors build boats

>
    > Fishing off the coast of Sri Lanka.
    > COMPOSITES companies around the world have joined
    > forces to help the fishermen of India and Sri Lanka to replace boats destroyed
    > by the tsunami which hit South East Asia on 26 December. The group plans to
    > bring the technology and skills to the region to enable the rapid
    > production of thousands of high quality composite boats.
    >
    > Alan Harper, managing director of Plastech TT, a UK
    > company spe******ing in equipment for closed mould processing, initiated the
    > project in January. In just four days he brought together a group of
    > composite suppliers which have pledged materials to produce an initial 50 new
    > fishing boats for the artisanal fishermen of India and Sri Lanka. These
    > initial pledges are sufficient to produce over 100 000 Euros worth of fishing
    > boats.
    >
    > The following is a list of the companies involved in
    > the project, and the materials they are donating:
    >
    > a.. AOC, USA - resins;
    > b.. Scott Bader, UK - gel-coats;
    > c.. Saertex, Germany /South Africa - glass
    > reinforcements;
    > d.. Nord Composites, France - mould building resins;
    > e.. Axel, USA - mould release agents;
    > f.. Norac Andos, USA/Sweden - catalyst systems;
    > g.. Structiso/Nidacore, France/USA - core
    > materials;and
    > h.. Plastech TT, UK - moulding equipment and moulds.
    > The group is currently consulting with the fishing
    > communities on the design required to replace their wooden catamarans. Once
    > the design has been finalised, operations will begin rapidly. One set of
    > production moulds, and masters for the production of further moulds on site,
    > will be produced using the light resin transfer moulding (RTM) technique.
    > These will then be air freighted to the coastal disaster zones, together with
    > four of Plastech's injection machines.
    >
    > Plastech's Alan Harper says that the group is not
    > intending to replace the whole of the devastated fishing fleet, but to offer
    > practical help which will enable the survivors to help themselves. The
    > moulds, machines and materials, combined with the latest technology and training,
    > will enable local people to begin the immediate production of 100 fishing
    > craft per month. This figure will rise to 400 per month once duplicate
    > mould sets are produced locally from the master patterns.
    >
    > Using this closed moulding technology large numbers of
    > boats can be produced very quickly. It would not be possible to make such
    > large numbers by the traditional hand lay-up moulding technique as the
    > skilled workers required are not available. The Light RTM technique is an
    > environmentally friendly, clean manufacturing method, with low wastage, and
    > results in high quality products. The boats will be built to last for more than
    > 20 years.
    >

5. Schoonerman

Schoonerman Junior Member

Replacement boats & Transportation

We here in Indonesia are very much aware and see numerous proposals to replace boats lost by local fishermen in the SUMUT area. We have chartered a 900GT sailing cargo vessel KLM Maruta Jaya to carry aid to the SUMUT area. We have posted summary of our offer at http://www.songlinecruises.com/wre.php

Your assistance is finding cargo for this project would be appreciated.

Robin Engel

6. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

Sailing Cargo Boat

Nice that this boat is still around. I have been several times on it when it belonged to the Indonesian Navy. Mr. Schenzle's (TU Hamburg) idea was that this boat should replace the traditional Phenisis in Indonnesia. It is a good and seaworthy boat.

Cheers

Rudi

7. Schoonerman

Rudi,

It is a special vessel isn't it ! Capt Ray Williamson and I have been interested in MJ for quite sometime. We are sort of playing our cards with this charter and hope move her from her present un-respectable and un-profitable task of basic cargo haulage to a full time Aid oriented operation. We are of the opinion that as me move into this next phase of the re-construction of North Sumatra, Maruta Jaya "might" be able to find a place in some programs as a construction or training platform, similar to the photos I see in this tread on boat building. Any assistance that you might be able to give us in passing the word on our interest in finding NGOs' interested in using Maruta Jaya would forever be appreciated.

One additional point you might be able to assist us with is our eventual plan to put her INDO Rig back together. The present system seems to be in place, but we are concerned about the electric motors and some parts of the rigging itself !

If we can get past these first 4 months with out going broke, we will be interested in taking on that project.

Thanks again for your kind response and be advised that the Traditional Pinisi Schooner will never be replaced !

Respectfully

Robin Engel

8. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

Sailing Boats

I think a generation of German shipbuilding students designed and worked on this boat. There where extensive model tests done with the hull and the rigg. To change this might be a suboptimal decision:).

Best Regards

Rudi

9. Schoonerman

Rudi,

Be assured that it was "never" our intention to alter the sail system, rather it would be to return that system to her original design.

The Design Students from TU Hamberg, interest me, would be possible to know of a news-group or alumni site from that school of design, through which we might be able to speak with these people ?

Robin

10. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

Prof. Schenzle

Robin,

I think you should contact the project leader of this project Prof. Schenzle ( I think he is a professor now ) and/or look up his publications.

These group of students who worked in this reseach project 25 to 30 years ago are all established naval architects now. Difficult to find.
    The money to do this reseach came from the German Government, therefore the result is open. I did a project on "Sailing Tuna Fishing Boat for Indonesia " a long line boat with sail assistant. But this was a long time ago.

Best Regards

Rudi

11. oneuglyboat

oneuglyboat Junior Member

We have a boat that would fit the needs of many in the are to provide transportation and fishing boat needs. its an aluminum deck boat that can be shipped in a box including a trailer. the complete boat and trailer goes in a box 12ft long 32 inches wide and 24 inches tall. the ship wt is 770 lbs. we make it a a kit but it would work well for needs indicated. ti could be mass produced in a short time. (30 days) you can see it at www.oneuglyboat.com.

12. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Here's my latest version of the "Fact Sheet" I've been working on.... trying to organize what I've learned in this forum for land lubbery relief coordinators who'd like to rebuild the fishing fleets and provide for the coastal transportation needs of tsunami struck areas. Please help me distribute it (and correct it or add to it as necessary).

Thanks everyone.
    Stephen

Attached Files:

13. mmaskell

mmaskell 63 year old junior

We used to build fishing boats which we gave to Timorese Villiages for free but we closed our operation down when local officials started charging fees for accepting our donations and equipment ended up in the garages of corrupt officials. Our efforts now go where they will be appreciated. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

14. johnbkk

johnbkk Junior Member

G'day Mike,
    I'm amazed and saddened by news of corrupt e-timorese officials wanting tea money for boats donated by ABET.
    I guess corruption really is endemic from Burma thru to PNG now. Grrr.

Where are the boats going to now?

15. mmaskell

mmaskell 63 year old junior

ReDirection of effort

My partner (and professional boatbuilder) Barry Wicks is now in North Queensland, having had to leave copious quantities of tools, equipment and personal effects in Timor,their rules,and is in the process of forming partnerships with tribal elders and local councillers, in order to set up a program teaching indigenous peoples in the area boatbuilding skills. Its a slow process but watch this space.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.