will modern outboards operate while tilted up.

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by rasorinc, Dec 26, 2014.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

No experience with outboards. Could not find an answer to my question on Mercury site, Yamaha, or Tohatsu. Can they operate while tilted up but with prop in the water? Thanks much..........

2. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

It's common to tilt up until prop is barley in the water when nosing up to a beach. Haven't ever lost an impeller or overheated going this way slowly for 10-15 minutes, low rpms. Reverse ventilates. How long and how fast do you need to run tilted up?

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

The (life) boat is 66" wide and 12' long. It has a flat Dory hull turning into a V as you reach the bow. It will be stored over the rear deck of the main boat. Will be used to travel
    up stream of smaller rivers and streams for exploration. I can see myself speeding up and raising the engine up to slide over shallow spots or rock avoidance. Will be powered by a 10 hp high thrust outboard plus oars

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Some smaller motors have/had a "shallow water drive" feature, which allows you to run it in a pre-set, well-tilted position.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

You don't want to ruin the impeller when exploring remote areas. I would modify the outboard by adding a small wing or scoop near the water intake to make sure the impeller does not run dry.

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Why a high thrust model for a small boat?

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

The 9.8 hp engine (high thrust ) also serves as a kicker engine for the larger boat I am building. 9' x 30'

8. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I thought that might be the plan, you may need to switch the prop to use it on the small boat b

Titling isn't an issue, just look and see if its peeing, if it is, no problem.

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I want to thank you all for your assistance. Yes, the engine I will buy will have a shallow water setting. Tohatsu offers this as does Yamaha. Bought all structural lumber today and will post pics as soon as my son in law visits (if I have anything to take a pic of)

I really appreciate all your comments very much. Stan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.