Spanner type

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Aug 19, 2015.

1. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

You might find the Evinrude a bit tricky to set up, I don't know that model. However we have had no end of problems with a 4hp 2 stroke circa 1990 as the carb seems to have something missing, at least she just won't idle reliably - yet!. Runs OK and pretty clean, probably need the full exploded view +, we have the proper paper manual, or maybe a bit more data on the beast. Currently playing with timing settings etc, it will get there.

The Moggie is an 1098 engine with drums all round. The upgrade discs come from the Allegro or Marina and are a bit pricey but doable. If it started to do any real mileage, it would get the upgrade....;) Mind you the sleeping policemen ensure you will need an osteopath to sort your back out, with the wretched rear suspension!. I prefer my all hydraulic and gas (Citroen) ride....;)

2. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

I've got the 6hp fisherman,I wouldn't entertain another Evinrude that has the
    upright starting pillar.The carb won't come off unless you remove the pillar.
    Have you levelled the float on your 4hp?The performance improves if you clean the magnets on the magneto,and the coil heads.
    The bad tickover could be badly insulated points where they are screwed onto the plate,even a small short will spoil the tickover.it could of course be a
    coil that is on it's way out,or even a condenser.If the points gap is anything but 20 thou,it will throw the timing out.
    I have 3.3hp as well,it runs quieter than a sewing machine,the only setback
    is no neutral.
    The last Citroen I drove had 3 suspension heights,it was like driving a ghost.
    Sort of like the Maralyn Munroe of cars,(a great ride)Haha
    You could google "Leroy's ramblings"Loads of info on there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  3. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Re the 4 HP Evinrude. Will attack it again when the starter engage ring has been replaced, the teeth are so poor that it's not getting enough speed to actually give enough spark on the pull......good example of slip....
    Crap design, relying on one bolt to hold all that off centre pull, reminds me of he water pump on my Gilera which failed prematurely one night on my return from Coventry to London, good thing it was so cold the motor did not overheat....;)

The Citroen hydraulics are excellent IMHO and very little problem in well over 250k in 'em. Pity they won't make any more after current models.

4. valvebounce

I wouldn't entertain those small evinrudes with the nylon starter dog and pedestal pull cord pillar.My 6hp was a real pain,qnd I only wanted to get the carb off.I put new coils and points and condensors on it,it never misses a beat.
    I've got the 40+ and 40- seagulls,same engine but different gearboxes and props.I have got a car starter motor with a socket welded on it that fits the flywheel main nut.The extra whumph charges the coils if they have been stood a while.They start no probs now,I only used the starter when I first got them.
    I was a BSA man myself,500cc shooting star twin.
    I made two straight through stainless steel mega's,jetted the carb up,and used to take it on an old airstrip at the back of GM Holden in Melbourne where I worked.It got to 93mph faster than the Vincent Black shadow.
    My biggest problem was stopping before I hit the hurricane fence at the end of the strip,down the box,braking with the back wheel bouncing,Oh happy days.

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

there is still tons of imperial out there in the marine world, new as well.

6. valvebounce

I don't think I will have any problems getting some.
    How's Melbourne looking these days?I left in 1963,they had just got the Heliport on the Yarra.
    My parents dragged me back here,I've rued the day ever since.
    I was only 18,and had a great job as an apprentice experimental toolmaker at GMH.
    "V"

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

you wouldnt recognise the yarra anymore
    Hard to believe you would leave OZ in early 60's as it was good times and growing for years

8. valvebounce

I had everything sorted out to stay,but my Dad told me it would break my mother's heart.
    He was a design Draughtsman and had his own office at Dunlops designing heavy machinery clutches etc.
    He was ex SAS,his Achiles Heel was my mother.
    We had a nice house in Cheltenham,I couldn't believe it when my mother wanted to go back to the UK.