removing varnish buildup metal fuel tank

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by eatsleepfish, Jun 10, 2014.

1. eatsleepfish

eatsleepfish Gone Fishing

a few years ago I bought a 93 Nissan 18hp, an elderly man had won it in a raffle,,,he filled the tank ran it less then 10 minutes then put it up for 16 or 17 years , anyway, when I got the tank and motor I put that tank to the side, but now on a different setup I'm wanting a backup tank, but this mint shape tank has a varnish coating over the entire inside, my question is there something I can put in it that will remove the varnish from the inside, metal tank of course,,,, must be something I can get in the U.S.A. :idea:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Yes, Seafoam, and put the tank in the boat for about a year before using it, or it can ride around in the back of your truck for a few months. There are also strong solvents that will work a bit faster, but they are nasty. MEK is one. I resuscitated an old motorbike with Seafoam. It had sat for six years. Rode it easy every day, reworked the carbs every night - for three months. Finally, the last bit of junk came out, so I took the bike out on the interstate and blew the motor. I have a Honda 1100 Shadow in pieces if anyone is interested. I've also seen a Racor 120 gph system hung on a ten hp outboard;) 2 micron oughta do it.

5. eatsleepfish

thanks, i'll use it, and thanks for the welcome, this site is very helpful...

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I you dont have a year , I would spray (empty a can ) of brake cleaner and slosh for 10 15 min.

After that , should anything be left lacquer thinner , overnight should get any remaining gunk.

A small inline filter in the system would help for the first few fills, just in case.

7. eatsleepfish

thank you fred, I pray I got many years left, lol,
    but yes I'd love it way quicker, the thinner I'd thought about, but the braker cleaner then the thinner sounds like a great ideal, I was a carpenter most all my life so I just happen to have a few gallons of lacquer laying around,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.