Re Outboard set up

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by farmer680, Jan 27, 2014.

1. farmer680

farmer680 Junior Member

Hi when you put the throttle on it it would start to move then would start revving up but when i backed right off on throttle it would move the boat slowly then when i opened throttle it would start revving up

2. farmer680

farmer680 Junior Member

Hi i have been measuring from the motor clamps where they clamp on to the transom down to the plate above prop is that right

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Sounds right, you only have to look at the pic of a long shaft I posted the link to, to realise yours is a short shaft.

4. farmer680

farmer680 Junior Member

Here are some more pictures

Attached Files:

5. farmer680

farmer680 Junior Member

Hi Mr Efficiency, what is that bracket on the back of boat and what does it do

6. Mr Efficiency

Short shaft, 100%.

7. Mr Efficiency

Looks like a jacking plate of some kind. Enables adjustment to motor height, but that can create other problems, like needing to raise it before you can tilt it.

8. farmer680

farmer680 Junior Member

Thank you very much i messaged the man i got it off he said that the person he got it off said it was a long shaft, but he will see me when he gets back from Holidays next week.so hopefully he will just give my money back. as i only run motor for about 10 min

9. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

From the new pictures you can tell it definitely is a short shaft and from your description of what it was doing on the boat the prop is definitely cavitating. Hope the guy refunds your money and you can get a long shaft motor. If not the only way you can make it work is to lower the motor down with some type of a jack plate then you might run into a problem of connecting the cables and steering.

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

You might find an extension kit for it

11. farmer680

farmer680 Junior Member

the motor is tiller steer i will so how i go with the person i got it off

12. farmer680

farmer680 Junior Member

Hi Phoned the man up he said he will give money back, i just drove 200klms to look at another outboard the man said was long shaft get down there it was a short shaft as his transom was only 15"not 20" so still looking for an outboard

13. Mr Efficiency

You drove 200 km to look at another motor that turned out to be a short shaft ? :( It's getting to the stage where you may have to answer ads for motors listed as short shaft, they'll probably be long shafts ! :D

14. farmer680

farmer680 Junior Member

the man said yes it's a long shaft my mate has been in to boats for many years, so get down there it was a short shaft, so what i am going to do from now on is get them to measure their transom and then the leg,there are so many people who just don't know how to measure an outboard

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If the seller wants to be a jerk, his comments are accurate - this engine does fit on a long shaft transom. It doesn't work well on one, but this isn't what your comment says. Simply put, as has been noted, you need a long shaft engine or you can cut the transom, making a short shaft cutout.

Cutting the transom sounds fairly straight forward, but it's not. It's very likely you'll need to rebuild the splash well, modify the liner and a whole sort of other details, just to make the lower cutout work. I don't recommend short shaft engines at all any more, unless on very small craft, so you need a long shaft engine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.