New DIESEL outboard.

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by FAST FRED, Jun 24, 2015.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I'd have to disagree with you there. I believe there could be a considerable market for such an item, particularly where a number of people are weighing the choice between inboard engines verses the convenience of an outboard set up....
    For instance:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/powerboats/weekender-picnic-powercat-33751.html

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/propulsion/catamaran-propulsion-thoughts-32077.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f109/who-makes-a-large-catamaran-with-outboards-48947.html

I'm sure you could find lots of other discussions of inboard vs outboard configurations on a number of boating forums, but suffice it to say I think a lot of new attention would be paid to utilizing 'outboard power' if truly innovative diesel outboard tech was available.

One equation that I think would make them more viable is there real pushing power vs the older gas outboards. Many of the older gas outboards were geared towards top speed, and their props (sizes and pitches), gear ratios, and economy were limited in range. Diesel outboards with larger props, lower gear ratios (or multiple), and even hi-torque duo-props could be welcome additions.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The outboard-powered displacement cat is a niche market, unless the engines are comparable in weight, the planing boat market, which is much larger, won't accept them. A lot of hulls are not even entirely happy with heavier 4-strokes as replacements for lighter two-strokes, if diesels are to remain heavier again, it is difficult to see them taking off, especially with a higher capital cost. I expect the torque characteristics of diesels necessitating a heavier gearbox just adds to the headache of how to get the weight down.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

plus you cant take an outboard in displacement mode and drive something offshore as they just cavitate and or ventilate, its the wrong engineering choice for that.
    Hence all outboard engines, gearboxes and ratio's are designed assumed that they are on the plane

5. brian eiland

Exactly, as they were designed and utilized in the gas outboard market. But put a more 'powerful prop' (larger dia, more pitch, duo-prop, or both) turning at a lower speed and they can be utilized in a 'displacement mode'

I utilized a special 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke outboard that had a lower gear ratio, a slightly larger dia, and a more aggressive pitch. to push a 37 foot Louisiane catamaran up to 7 knots,....one single engine. And it had great maneuverability as I could turn the outboard to the direction I wanted the stern of the boat to move. I could NOT have accomplished that with a fixed prop inboard configuration (I would have needed twin props).

When I had an engine problem I could simply take that outboard engine off the vessel for subsequent repair and continued on with another substitution, or engineless while repairs/parts procurment were being made.

And I dare say that with the cost of new diesel inboards theses days, and all the associated running gear, the outboard situation might compare very well.

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Hi Brian
    yes a diesel has a chance of being small yet be able to put a big prop into gear.
    cheers

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'd guess that four-stroke outboards compare favourably to the old petrol sterndrives they are supplanting, mainly because they don't use heavy iron blocks, that can't be said of diesels. Diesels in smallish planing boats are notoriously sluggish because of the disadvantageous power-to-weight ratio, how going to outboard configuration helps that. I can't see. But if some miracle lightweight block metal that can handle high compression comes along, it could all change overnight.

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

9. brian eiland

10. brian eiland

How about the Steyr type diesels, one other step in lighter weight diesels
    Steyr Monoblock Diesel Marine Engine Series
    Design

It might be interesting to see whats coming in future diesel engine design with the use of higher tech materials and nano-technology, etc.

But I'm betting the internal combustion engine will be eclipsed by the electric motor.

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

In the meantime internal combustion engines will be improved just like the Clipper Ships when in competition with steam engine propulsion.

12. brian eiland

I do believe the ICE has just about reached its pinnacle of performance/efficiency. And I think we will see an accelerated move away from fossil fuels during the next 10 years.

Besides electric engines can be that much more efficient, and their torque curves fit most 'motive' needs much better than ICE's

13. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

For all these reasons, I'm very happy I chose outboard propulsion.

When the next whiz bang miracle takes place, it's a one day upgrade.

14. Mudcrab

Mudcrab Waterjet4Fun

Boy, this thread went off topic quickly.

Several people have asked good questions about OXE technology but no answers.
    I am also interesting in knowing how the belt system manages to drive the lower end.
    Here are some deductions.

The belt system appears to be based on Gates Polychain tech which is stronger than steel chain and does not stretch. It is also lube free and normally designed around a 10K or 20K hours service life at full load. Which of course way exceeds any gear set that will fit in the same space.
    The challenge is that it normally needs substantial pretension to achieve torque transmission. Using a very wide belt may reduce the tension required.
    The increase pulley engagement achieved may also reduce tension requirement.
    The CIMCO patent only alludes to curved surfaces guiding the belt through the waste section of the leg. So how this all works with out any obvious tension system is a bit of mystery.

Engine isolation from the drive train has to occur at the drive coupling.

Drive ratios are appreciably lower than regular outboards because the diesel torque/rpm profile is some what different but the propeller requirements on the boat are the same. e.g same rotational speed etc.

Fwd and reverse is via hydraulic plate clutches and is very smooth - as seen in sea trial videos.

IMO a very real alternative tech and will definitely find a market in commercial and long range ops. Well done OXE.
    Cheers

15. SaltOntheBrain

SaltOntheBrain Senior Member

Mystery?
    Those curved guides make the belt contact more than 180 degrees of a toothed pulley, plus they are pretty close to it, which doesn't give the belt any room to jump off.
    Less belt tension also means less wear on those curved guides.
    LF

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.