most common problems faced with outboards 3-50 hp?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by ozzmat2, Mar 8, 2010.

1. ozzmat2

ozzmat2 Junior Member

What in your experience are the most common problems faced, with outboards...mainly ones from 3hp up to 50hp??????

2. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

carbueration.

3. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Old gas.

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Especially 2 stroke engines: fuel evaporates from the carb, leaving only oil in the bottom passages and jets, so starting will be difficult next time.

The solution:
    Do not switch off the engine after use but shut off the fuel and wait till the engine stops.

5. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

great advice CDK...

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Thank you.

I live just a few steps from the sea and watch people pulling like crazy to start their engines almost every day. Some give up exhausted and take the thing back home. Once a guy got so mad he rowed to the middle of the bay and threw his engine overboard.
    My old Mercury-5 just needs 2 pulls: one to wake up, the second one to start.....

7. ozzmat2

ozzmat2 Junior Member

cheers CDK thats sound advice prevention and maitenance is the key...
    a good clean spark plug helps aswell....

8. Typhoon

Typhoon Senior Member

The only issues I have with running a 2 stroke till it's dry is lack of remaining lubrication on the cylinder bores and rings. That and the fact the float bowls will still contain fuel.
    So if you're going to do it, pull the spark plugs, teaspoon of 2 stroke oil into each bore then a few turns of the starter, yanks of the cord. I also plug the air silencer intake with an oily rag. Leave a corner of the rag dangling out of the side of the cowl to remind you next time you start the engine.
    I've always started my 2 strokes monthly, year round, so I don't have this problem.
    I would say corrosion and improper flushing are the number one enemy of outboards. Hose down thoroughly after every use in salt water, run with fresh water till thermostat opens and don't tilt engine for 10 mins, to allow coolant to drain.

Regards, Andrew.

9. jonr

jonr Senior Member

What do you think of spraying fogging oil in as it dies (instead of removing the spark plugs)?

10. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Fogging does a much better job, putting oil in the spark plug hole only helps the top end, the lower end is still left without much protection.

Many people run the motor out of fuel, but yes, you lose some of your corrosion protection and it doesn't drain all of the fuel, only down to certain level. Some say this allows it to evaporate even faster leaving a dried oil and fuel scum in the carb sooner.

Draining the float bowls is the only way to ensure they are empty.

After saying that, people that use all or none of these methods have few problems. You will find people saying they've done it this way, or that way for the last 40 years and have never had any real problems.

Carb problems are the most likely issues though, many are just from junk in the fuel.

11. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I have a 4 stroke motorcycle that will absolutely not run until I drain the bowl and let it fill with fresh gas.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In the USA most fuel has 10% ethanol. It degrades fairly fast. With straight gas (petrol) the problems are less. Also, synthetic two stroke oil does not separate like regular types. The regular oil has additives that settle in the bottom and create that green jelly that clogs everything

13. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

Carb issues due to ethanol,ignition,bad impellers,and bad lower unit seals.

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

IF YOU LOOK AFTER IT AND TREAT IT WITH RESPECT IT WILL LAST FOR YEARS AND BE TOTALLY RELIABLE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE IT .:p

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

2 or 4 strokes?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.