How to bring a 1961 Evinrude Lark III 40 back to life

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by MarcD, Aug 1, 2006.

1. MarcD

MarcD Junior Member

My new old boat project (1957 13'2" Edwin Monk-designed runabout) came along with a '61 Evinrude Lark III 40hp outboard. According to the deceased owner's son, it ran when they put in storage about 4 years ago. He drained the gas and used fogging oil, and claimed it should start and run OK. I am working on preservation and restoration of the boat, as I am the new owner.

I am new to this forum, but appreciate all the helpful comments from those who have long since gone down the road I have started on this year. In the future I hope to become one of those giving the best advice possible--that from experience-- but meanwhile, I have a few questions.

Is there a source anyone can recommend for the steps to bring this beast back to life?
    I confess I am stupidly new to outboards, but I am smart enough to not try and start it dry. I presume I will change the plug. I may have to pick up a carb kit (still available). I have been told to drain the crankcase, and will find out what type of oil to put back into it. I am searching now for a copy of the owner's manual and service manual without paying an arm and a leg from the company in Wisconsin that has the contract for reprints ($70). But, I may have to when I get around to putting the project in the water.

Finally, are there any quirks to the Lark 3's? Any advice from past Lark 3 owners?

Right now I am at least 6 gallons of stripper and a bunch more than that of paint and varnish away from even thinking about backing the trailer into the lake, so I have time to get to the motor.

Again, thanks for the helpful comments. Those of us that are new to the forum appreciate the words of wisdom beyond what you know.

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Think you are on the right track. Change the oil, change the oil in the lower unit, if you have a shear pin, change it and get some spares. Change the impeller, after 4 years sitting in the same postion it is probably cracked and dry rotted. The carb kit is a good idea, if it all the fuel was run out of it, it might not be needed. However if the fogging oil was sprayed down the intake the carb could be gummed up. In the later years Evinrude and Johnson motors were the same engine with different paint/covers. Not sure about your year but worth looking into. Think Johnson was the dominant brand might be more manuals. Lots of websites to research.

3. MarcD

MarcD Junior Member

Thanks ken!

I wouldn't have thought of the shear pin, (OK, I'll be honest...I didn't discover it had one yet!), but that same approach (get spares) saved me this past winter when I sheared off BOTH pins on my 8HP Ariens snowblowing the driveway. Boy, was I glad to have about 6 spares on the shelf!

The impeller is also a good suggestion. Thanks again. I always appreciate the feedback on this forum.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.