help please... evinrude wont start!

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by gencer, Aug 30, 2011.

1. gencer

gencer Junior Member

Hi guys I had rebuilt my evinrude 70hp 1983 model and everything worked. I had it running for 5 hours. (Just my way making sure it works :)

Thing is just yesterday I was cleaning my boat because I wanted to go out this week end. I started it up to show my mate and everything was good. Until I stopped it and 10mins later I went for anther go NOTHING happened.
    I can you tilt trim and use every other electric opponent on my boat but starter motor won’t start it and choke does not work. I’m guessing electricity won’t go to my motor? Or is it the starter motors. But I think it might be the power pack. What in earth could it be. >>>????

please help :confused::(

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

lanyard safety switch? Neutral safety switch?

Not power pack, those supply spark and have nothing to do with the starter.

You can check the starter by putting a hot + wire right to the stud on the motor which is directly "jumping" it

Steve

3. gencer

gencer Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.

firstly yes it has a safety switch but its all on. i'll try the the starter today but if that works what in the world can it be????

thanks for the help..

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Hot wire the starter with a set of jumper cables. If it spins, you have a control head, harness, connection, power delivery issue. If it doesn't you need to look further. These sort of thing are easy to figure out, if you take a step by step approach. By a manual for the engine and use the basic trouble shooting section as your guide.

[​IMG]

5. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Just because the lanyard safety switch is engaged, doesn't mean it works, these are failure prone, maybe think about jumping around it.

Same for the neutral safety switch, have been jiggling the handle in neutral?

Key switch? These are failure prone too, especially the "push to choke" units.

and often overlooked, the ground, although if the choke solenoid is working the ground is probably good.

Corroded connections at any of the switches I mentioned can be the culprit. Sometimes a corroded connection will allow enough juice for a meter to show voltage but when you ask it to turn a load like a starter it won't happen.

Steve

6. gencer

gencer Junior Member

i checked my starter and it works. im going to try the things you guys told me. i'll let you guys know what happenes. just asking how do i know if my power pack is broken?

thanks all im going to check but i think it just might be a connection promblem i.ll update soon

7. gencer

gencer Junior Member

Thanks guys for all the help it ends up being a fuse. i have replaced it and everything works now.

thanks all.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.