Evinrude Power Trim

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by mlopez0519, Dec 31, 2013.

1. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

I recently purchased a 1989 Kenner 18.2' boat wih an 89' Evinrude 110HP V4 outboard! Everything had been working pretty good until recently that I took it out for a spin. I notice that when in low or medium throttle it would work fine, but at full throttle the tilt will collapse and outboard revs and I can't seem to gain speed! Does anyone out there have any suggestions or has anybody experienced this? Can you please help with ideas?

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I don't follow you exactly about the "tilt collapse", but if the outboard is revving out and you aren't going anywhere fast, maybe your rubber hub in the prop is slipping ? This typically worsens when you increase revs. Or do you mean the bow ploughs in and you can't increase speed, because the motor trims right under ?

3. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

Ok, but why would the outboard tilt down on its own as I increase the throttle? Do you have any idea? And if it would be the rubber hub, is it replaceable, and is it fairly easy to do so? Or would I need a new propeller?

4. Mr Efficiency

There may be a fault in the hydraulic trim, but that would have nothing to do with the prop slipping. Yes, the rubber hub can be replaced. When you say, "outboard revs but no gain in speed" is that based on a tacho reading, or you just pushing the throttle forward further ? If the motor is trimmed right in, it will struggle to reach it's best.

5. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

We'll as I push the throttle forward also raises the RPM at the gauge. Could this have anything to do with cavitation? Not the tilt dropping but the reving? Do you think the lack of hydrolic fluid could be the reason for the tilt to drop down? Remember this happens at the same time that I throttle forward! Both issues simultaneously.

6. Mr Efficiency

If the hydraulics can't hold the motor off the stops under max power, it should not cause the motor to over-rev.

7. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

Ok so do you think the tilt issue could be hydrolic fluid, the lack of?

8. Mr Efficiency

Get hold of a manual for it, and proceed to "troubleshooting", before doing anything. You could try putting the removable tilt pin a couple of holes further out and go for another run, and see whether you get more speed.

9. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

Ok thanks for your time and answers I'll give it a shot! How can I tell if I need to replace the rubber hub at the prop?

10. Mr Efficiency

The rubber hubs can sometimes slip without showing any overt signs of damage. Your motor will over-rev badly, if it is slipping, much as with cavitation/ventilation, and sometimes just intermittently. You can hear it when it loses grip, by the growl of the engine. Won't cost too much to fix it, if that is the problem. But if your motor is pushing the rams in, that is a whole different issue.

11. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

Ok, thanks again for the input I'll be taking a look at the prop rubber hub! Gotta go with the lighter stuff first and take it from there!

12. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Does your Evinrude have a manual trim release valve. If present, check that's tight.
    Can you see any fluid slick behind your boat after it's been sitting with the OB up for a while?
    Finally, leaving the outboard in the up position, does it drop down at all overnight?

13. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

I'm not sure but I'll check it, thanks!

14. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

I've been using the tilt trail lock when trailering the boat and I also leave it tilted up when parked at home! So, I don't know if I'm doing the right thing here.

15. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

I'll probably remove the tilt trail lock and leave the outboard lifted to see if it doesn't lower over night. I'll let you know how that goes, FMS! Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.