Diesel outboard

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Hastings Harry, Apr 23, 2014.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

You mean they scrapped the 6.2 and built the 6.6 it was never a gas engine.
    Pontiac did try that years before with a bad result so they knew.
    Dont know what they were thinking with the 6.2. The block looks like it will fail and a cast crank...

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Hi Phil
    Just be careful icomia hp has 10% latitude and hp is not hp if one makes it at 5000rpm and the other at 2000 and we are talking planning hulls without multispeed gearboxes

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Powerabout,
    Gas horsepower is not diesel Horsepower???
    If an gas engine produces 33,000 foot pounds per minute, for one horsepower,
    then what does a diesel engine produce??

4. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

I think that what he really is talking about is torque. Diesel engines (and super/turbo charged) engines produce much more torque that straight gas engines at the same hp.

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Still waiting on proof that your engines are any good. A few posts on a forum about An engine that almost worked doesn't cut it.

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

""My 40 Hp diesel outboard motor is gone, I sold it to an existing diesel outboard user and our new Sydney agent. Garry. To see where it has gone please search "coffee boat Sydney""". 0412 409 927 to find out where he is

Just call for a coffee & see how it goes...........

Jeff

7. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

If he wants to sell any engines,he should do a well publicized circumnavigation of Australia...or run from Sydney to Cairns and back a few times-non stop except for fuel- at good speeds.

And/or set new records from one place to another.

Without this-the doubting public will stick with what they know.

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I saying dont compare horsepower of engines on a planning hull if that horsepower is made at vastly different rpms

9. whitepointer23

At least you can get a free cappuccino if you buy one of his motors in Sydney. Your right west. He needs to do something. It might different if a marine dealership sold them as a sideline. At least they would know what they are talking about. He just does not have the knowledge of boating or his products . Read about his prop trials, That explains it all. I hope I don't come across as insulting, Thats not the intention.

10. Hastings Harry

Hastings Harry Junior Member

Hi All.

So sorry for trying.

I'm not a multi millionaire super businessman yet who can fund a round Australia trip but a knockabout family man trying to honestly build something good and worthwhile for my family and learning along the way. What a journey. What an ******** you guys have made me feel like.
    I started from absolute ground zero with what I still know is a good honest product at a fair and reasonable price.

We are one third the price of a reconditioned Yanmar diesel outboard.

I've put a lot of work into liasing with China over the last 12 months to make a better looking and easier to use product (read Americanised and idiot proofed).
    It's not easy I can tell you, different culture, different language, different way of thinking.

I couldn't sell what I received last year, my heart just wasn't in it. For my honesty I've been slagged.
    The new 35, 40 and turbo 60 Hp RUNSUN diesel outboard motors however, are getting close to world standard, the cost has gone up but I am putting my money where my mouth is and getting a new generation turbo diesel 60 Hp for my own boat (manufacturer specs say minimum 55 Hp).

Finally we have achieved a product to a standard I can confidently sell.

But I find the continual snide and sneering comments of a certain few "experts" who, when I check their other posts, aren't actually building anything themselves, and have never seen, felt or heard the RUNSUN diesel in real life but know EXACTLY how it performs, smells and smokes to be very wrong and to be quite destructive to my business (directly hurting my family) and personally hurtful.

Since this kind of behaviour seems to be quite okay on this forum I apologise but I will bow out and concentrate on positive avenues.

See how destructive you can be to a new idea or a new product. CRAP all over it from the expert safety of your keyboard. That is the idea of this forum isn't it? Not to share ideas but to make yourself out to be the "Expert" and better than everyone else?

Make sure nothing new gets a chance and help protect the monopolies of the big american corporations.

Thank you all for your contributions, some of you have been very entertaining and a few actually know what you are talking about. You mightn't think I listened but I did. I thank you, knowledge is valuable.

I have found a source of props but now my motor is sold. If a 12 month diesel outboard user wants another what does that say? I can tell you, he loves the sound, he loves the performance and he especially enjoys the fuel economy. But I'm wrong and I'm selling crap aren't I?

I'm so sorry I tried to share the journey and didn't have everything shiny and perfectly corporatized with every box ticked for you and shiny brochures all from day one. I made a mistake and thought you might be interested in seeing a good idea turn into a mainstream product. How wrong and how guilty I've been made to feel.

Stick it up me, don't be a leader, don't innovate. Be an armchair expert and play it safe, copy the crowd and pay heaps for petrol and servicing.
    3 l/h for 40 hp and instant start every time. I've proved it. No smoke and eu compliance also.
    How selfish and evil of me to tell you about it. Don't worry you are safe now and it won't happen any more.

You'll show me.

Cheers Phil

BrissoDamo and waikikin like this.
  11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hi Harry,
    I've found your posts quite interesting, thank you for your efforts & experimentation/risk so others can learn.
    There is a culture of harsh critic in some sectors... that's something that the marine industry needs to work on although it can be a healthy thing, just don't take personally.
    Seeing as your posts are attached to a commercial undertaking some might see you as "fair game".

All the best from Jeff.

12. whitepointer23

You should take on board a lot of the comments you got. Like I said insulting you is not the intention. You shot us down when we tried to give you advice on props. you are a grown man . Don't storm off like a little princess.

13. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Gas or Diesel, an outboard is still an outboard ,

hundreds of different parts in a housing that dissolves in sea water.

Maybe for a trailer kept boat ,or a work boat that wears them out every few years , but for a cruiser?

No way, unless its wired up to use as a battery.

14. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

Hi Phil,

I would like to compliment you on being the trail blazer; exactly how the Wild West was won!

As we irish say:" fair play to you".

Just to confirm: are these engines EU compliant?

On a separate note this is what happened to my sons Chinese bike after 5k miles; engines seized on the motor road at 70mph!

[​IMG]

Good news is that a new engine is €250.

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Keep going Phil
    its a tough game to sell an engine that people think will work on every boat and trust me designers have built boats that no outboard ever made will work on mainly because they think HP is HP

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.