Converting an Outboard to Diesel.

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by rustybarge, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The Commer was very noisy, presumably getting the noise down to a more normal level would have cut the power output too much.

2. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

Here is a shot of the Coventry Climax KF4 2 stroke diesel with Rootes supercharger. These were made specifically for the FMDs ( Fast Motor Dinghies ) 50hp at 2000rpm. . .

[​IMG]

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Naturally aspirated gms are loud but fit a turbo and they quieten right down. I put a 453 turbo in a 24 ft cabin cruiser I had and it was fantastic. It was quiet and smooth. People used to wait on the jetty for me to start it just so they could listen to the nicest engine note that you can get. I love detroits.

4. whitepointer23

The old man said they used to get 70 mph out of commer knocker trucks by taping the cold start button in.

5. whitepointer23

Detroit blowers are scavenger blowers thats all. They clean the cylinders of exhaust gas thats all. They won't idle without one. The reason they fit turbos is because to run a blower at boost pressures takes to much horsepower. When the blower bypass opens on a 892 you gain up to 40 hp for free.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.