chrystler 105 lower

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by boat rookie, May 11, 2015.

1. boat rookie

boat rookie Junior Member

Ok because,after reading that link i thought that was a sign something was wrong.i appreciate all your help.Mr efficiency

2. boat rookie

should I try to direct message Jerry Jerry 05

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I am not that familiar with chrysler box, and don't know exactly what the function of that part is, it is peculiar to the brand or type of box used in that engine, apparently. You might find some help on that site. But it doesn't sound as though you have done any harm, if it is going into F-N-R ok.

4. boat rookie

I thank you sir for all your help today.I feel little better now maybe I didn't ruin it.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Hopefully you haven't put anything out of kilter, I'm not at all clear what that "clutch pin" actually does, someone might come along and enlighten us, failing that you could ask your local outboard mechanic, but the odds are he's younger than this motor. Not worth getting a pull-down done on it, I wouldn't think, unless you get an opinion it is likely to detonate as a result of your "handiwork". :D

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

the shift fork pivots on that screw, its a common design in small gearboxes
    You could get lucky and get it back in but lay the case on its side and look down the hole with a light to see if you can see a bracket with a hole in it, perhaps with a sharp pointy object you can move it around to get the screw back in

7. ch3oh

ch3oh Junior Member

I used to have a clymer repair manual but couldn't find it. IIRC, it's indeed the shift fork pivot pin. I had a few of those o/b:s a decade ago and opened the pin twice looking for oil :rolleyes: When you get the fork right, locktite the pin on as it might loosen up while running and destroy the case.

8. boat rookie

I left the pin out while the oil drained.i dont think i bumped or moved the prop,but cant remember.when i went to put the pin back in.it felt like it was pushing against something,it felt like i wiggled it and it went in but not as easily as when i removed it you could just push it in and out

9. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

That is the pivot pin for the shift fork. If the motor shifts F-N-R then you got it back in OK. Most times you can't put the pin back in unless the fork is lined up because with shift rod connected it can only move enough that the pin won't go in. When you refilled the lower unit with oil did you pump the oil in through the bottom hole till it flowed out the top. I know of a few people who tried pouring the oil in the top who burned up the lower unit when they didn't get enough oil in it.

10. boat rookie

Yes,i filled it from the bottom to the top,if i shift it in reverse the prop is locked both directions,in neutral free spins both directions,but in forward prop is locked counter clockwise,but will turn by hand clockwise?isnt clockwise the direction it would turn to drive forword.is this normal.

11. boat rookie

Mr. efficiency mentioned that if it spends with a clicking noise that's the dog clutch and not necessarily a sign of a problem.?

12. ch3oh

ch3oh Junior Member

That's exactly how the dog clutch should work. On forward gear the prop will freewheel if the power should stop running. You could pull the spark plugs and hand spin the engine to make sure nothing sticks.

13. boat rookie

So pull the plugs and spin the flywheel,and it should drive the prop forward?with the lever in forward?

14. ch3oh

ch3oh Junior Member

Yes, that's how it works. When on fwd gear, you can spin the prop by spinning the powerhead but not the other way around. There's no ratchet on reverse as you can't reverse fast enough to need one. I think you're fine if the gears work and nothing gets stuck.

15. boat rookie

okay I appreciate all the knowledge, there'd be no sense in removing that pin just to reinstall it right .that's just pushing my luck?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.