Chocolate coloured engine oil (4 Stroke EFI 50hp outboard)

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by DJ111153, May 9, 2014.

1. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Whitepointer

I don't understand why you have engaged in a tirade of insults but as your post #27 indicates you are willing to give your opinion on subjects you know nothing about.

That's called shooting yourself in the foot.

Poida

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i am only yanking your chain poida. i wish fish would bite as good as you. of course i know nothing about your career. but i do disagree with your comments about head gaskets. i apologise for offending you.

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Brendan, your posts on this thread are technically spot on. But there's no need to yank anybody's chain by posting over the top personal disqualifications because you disagree with somebody. Better just say ‘‘ I disagree . . . ’’ and give the arguments why you do so. The right arguments increase the credibility of the post, insults don't. Good of the last sentence is it shows you know offending is not necessary [​IMG]

Poida, you choose to post with some irony, sometimes this can be misunderstood, so don't be surprised if someone starts yanking your chain . . ;)

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

So were friends again Whitepointer?

No I wasn't offended, I just thought it strange.

And since DJ111153 has disappeared it looks like we'll never find out what was wrong with his engine.

Poida

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Serial killer got another first-time poster ? Dangerous business.

6. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Well, we recently had a Mariner 25 (2001) serviced and the 'engine oil' was pure cafe au lait!. Gasket gone, not the cylinder head one but the base of block one. Either way both will need replacing, not a cheap option but necessary.
    Most likely trade in for a new'un, considering Tohatsu or new Suzuki as the fuel consumption looks to payback in under 3 years, over extra price.

Also there were signs of overheating near one exhaust area on the head. I suspect a worn out valve guide and valve as the engine has plenty of hours. BTW the motor ran really sweetly, no cooling problems, just routine servicing showed up the ingress of water!. Rather different from inlet tract/oil breather mayonnaise!.

7. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The most common cause of water in the oil in an otherwise good running modern 4 stroke OB is from it operating at a lower than required temperature.

This can be from a bad thermostat, extended low RPM's, rings that haven't seated, plus a combination of a few other things.

These are the first things to check, then go on to more complex and costly possibilities.

All this assumes it is water.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The OP must be being held by a terrorist group against his will, with access to a computer not permitted.

9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

yes, i would have liked to know if he found the problem.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.