Briggs & Stratton 5 hp outboard

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Raftman1979, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The unit that was on display here at the local sporting goods store had a plastic prop, this may, or may not have been normal for production at that time.

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Ok certainly mine is aluminium and the spares that I have seen are aluminium ...there was a 3 hp electric version using the same lower unilt .that may have had a plastic prop and later productin may have been plastic ..mine was an earlier production model exported to australia ...people buy ..start it up and rev up and it misses ..they dont realise that they have gone over 4000 rpm and the limiter has cut in ...fine on the water

3. dillonbeadle24

dillonbeadle24 Junior Member

I didn't think it was plastic and I have rode in one and loved it just bc it is compact and aircooled. It wored great in shallow duck pond.

Does anyone know why they were discontinued in retail stores?

4. slow fred

slow fred Junior Member

I purchased one new in 2005. It is a little noisy and does vibrate a little. This year I replaced all of the fuel lines and filter, no big problem. That is the only repairs since new. $6.50. It is a cheap motor but, it always starts and runs decent. New price then was $495.00

5. dillonbeadle24

I was wondering if there is a difference in the black and camo engines beside the look of it? And what pattern of camo is it

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I think it just went out with the global crash .....Briggs & Stratton had a big share in johnson so did not need to make outboards ..... this is the only true Briggs & S ever made ...like yu say very simple ..starts easy BUT always use SAE 30 oil not 20-50 or similar that is what kills the b & s engine......pipe to the water and its quiet ...

No difference camo or black ....carry a bit of 3 x2 to tilt the leg up ...will not start in gear ( not spin fast enough) prime..choke . part throttle ..pull and off it goes hot or cold . Best to fit a tiny tach or similar so you can bend the prop to ensure it gets up to 3800 at WOT ...over proping is a bad idea.

7. dillonbeadle24

Pistnbroke, What did you use to extend the muffler to the water and what kind of boat did you have on it and how fast did it go(mph)

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Had it on a 16 ft canoe and with two up about 12 mph...but it did not quite get on the plane due to weight distribution,,,,,,,,,,remember it idles at 1300 rpm so troll is not the word ..some have used the prop off the electric one as its less pitch ( less top speed)
    used an elbow and 3/4 copper plumbing pipe ....difficult to get he shape right ...the full parts and exploded view manual was on the internet at band s but seems to have gone ..I have a printed copy ..could photo and post if you buy one ....

Attached Files:

• iron.jpg
      iron.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  9. dillonbeadle24

Just curious, do you know how much the canoe weigh? Bc I have a 12 ft. Jon boat and I was just wondering how fast you think it might go. And I'm very interested in the pipe system. If you don't mine e-mail me a pic of your design and the diagram. dillonbeadle2@yahoo.com

and how do yall think it would work on a super light jon boat.

10. lokolatino2004

lokolatino2004 New Member

I have that same motor on my 12 ft and i used it in the salt water down the jersey shore...

11. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Briggs maintanence + longevity

had an e mail from someone about how to keep this motor running and forgot something ...

All I can say is only use SAE 30 engine oil ,change every 50 hrs and fit a rev/hourmeter so you can check its at 3800 at WOT ...
    What I forgot was its a good idea to put an anode on the ventilation plate...drill hole ,scrap off paint and bolt in place ...I use the one from a 4 hp Suzuki...I dont think the ali is top marine grade and the driveshaft not stainless so worth pulling the leg and greasing everying in sight inside...

12. lokolatino2004

can you post pictures?

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I saw one first time Friday at a lawnmower shop.

14. lokolatino2004

was it brand new?? and how much?

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It was in for a tune up and was about 8 years old.

Attached Files:

• iron.jpg
      iron.jpg
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.