1994 200HP Mercury trouble shooting

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by DonMac12, May 7, 2016.

1. DonMac12

DonMac12 New Member

At high RPM in the water. My Merc looses Prime bogs down and the motor dies. The ball dose NOT suck flat so all i have to to is re pump the ball and im off the the races!

Ive traced the fuel lines for dry rot and leaks but they seem fine replaced the filter and the ball what should i check next?

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Maybe sucking air through a faulty connection, or the fuel pump could need attention.

3. DonMac12

DonMac12 New Member

Thats what i was thinking is there anyway for me to test my fulepump befor condeming it?

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Is it a diaphragm-type pump ? (refer to workshop manual) The rubber diaphragm can develop pin-holes. You might check that, and replace if needed, you can probably get a kit. But I would be also concentrating on the snap-on fuel line connection to the engine, on old motors the seals can go, causing air to be sucked in.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.