1989 Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke water pump

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by *Chris*, Jul 1, 2006.

1. *Chris*

*Chris* Junior Member

I just bought from a friend a 89 Yamaha 2 stroke that was rebuilt 10 years ago and stored ever since. I ran it for the first time today and it ran perfectly and is way too much power for my 16' aluminum boat. I think I may have a problem, no water comes out of the weep hole under the powerhead when running in the water. But, when I put muffs on the motor and run it in the yard, water comes out of the hole. Obviously I am pressuring the cooling system when running off on my hose. Does this mean the water pump is bad? I am not sure if it was replaced during the rebuild. I ran the boat for almost 2 hours today and it did not overheat, so some cooling must be taking place.

Is the factory service manual the best, or is there a better aftermarket manual? To get to the waterpump, do I have to remove the lower unit?

Thanks!

Chris

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.