1982 Johnson 150 Question

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by nukejr, Sep 18, 2007.

1. nukejr

nukejr frmr Nuke Submariner

I am trying to get a quantitative (actual number on a guage) temperature indication at my helm. I currently have only a qualitative indication (an alarm when it it too late). Looking in my outboard manual and physically at the engine, I see that there are two engine temp switches, which are wired to the alarm at the helm.

1. Is there a threaded hole (I am told this hole is called a "boss") where I can install a temperature sender to wire it to a temp guage? If so, where can I order it.

2. I have installed a bolt on cylinder head temperature sender on a friends outboard before. I remember purchasing the small little sender that had the threaded wire post and a nut. We wired it to his already installed temperature guage. Since then I have been told that the sender should only be paired with its specific (i.e., same manufacturer) temperature guage. Is this is a fact? I would really like to use the temperature guage that I have installed.

Also, if I go down the bolt on road, where in the world can I find these things seperate from a gauge. I have only found on the internet that Teleflex is a manufacturer of these senders, but can't get more info than that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.