1980 Evinrude 35hp 2cyl running problems

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by liki, Jun 4, 2011.

1. liki

liki Senior Member

So far I have only had time to confirm that I have a problem with either the bellcrank or gearbox. Adjusting the cable helped a lot but didn't solve the problem. After reading the repair manual and checking spare gear prices I am now hunting for a suitable gear box from a salvage yard or an used VRO outboard 30-40hp.

But I'll keep you updated, I just cannot know when I'll find time for this.

2. liki

liki Senior Member

Having had no luck finding an used lower unit, it's now time to start servicing ours. I re-read the service manual and realized that the operation was easier than I anticipated, as long as the bearings requiring special tools do not have to be renewed.

But acquiring two +20" long 1/4" UNF threaded rods to pull out the bearing carrier turned out to impossible here in metric world, placed an order into US for them. :/ If they(McMaster-Carr) are not willing to deliver, it seem's that I'll have to buy some round bar and a thread tool. (Or use the local OMC shop where I cannot succeed myself.)

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

visit a catapillar dealer if you have one, huge range of sae threaded stuff
    you could order the 2 bolts from your OMC dealer??

4. liki

liki Senior Member

Anyone able to answer would a gear case assembly from 1994 15" 20hp model fit? Water pump line, impeller housing, drive shaft and screws seem to have different part numbers, but I was suggested that the newer lower unit would fit by just boring its screw holes a step larger.

... Well, got the malfunctioning transmission disengaged. And found a local repair shop willing to give their old stock paint away and loan tools. :)

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I got an answer to a similar question from two sources.
    One was the dealer parts guy who looked up part numbers for me.
    On a Vehicle, a Wrecking yard guy had a cross ref book.

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

only way for an answer is iboats.com in the evindrude section and wait till one of the experts comes along to answer

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

another real good place is <marineengine.com>
    You get a lot more action there.

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Thudplucker ..tried marineengine.com and its very quiet about 20% of the posts of iboats.com and the people answering are newbies ..so not very impressed...will stick with i boats ..I post in Chrysler outboards under Fucawi as pistnbroke was taken

9. liki

liki Senior Member

I am seem to be with luck. Aside from the fact that newer lower unit seems to have 5mm shorter drive shaft, one step larger holes for mounting screws and more reduction - Maybe 2,2:1 against 1,8:1 - it seems to be a bolt-on replacement.

With the larger reduction a new 10x15 prop could be perfect - Hope as alternatives with larger diameter or more pitch are not available. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.