1978 Merc 1500XS - Rebuild or Sell??

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Duckhunter, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Duckhunter

Duckhunter New Member

Hello, I'm interested in rebuilding my 78 Mercury 1500XS outboard (150HP). It actually runs fine now, just takes forever to start in cold weather. So, is it crazy to try and rebuild it myself? Can a rebuild like this be completed successfully by someone with very limited engine experience? What overbore is recommended? Is it worth rebuilding or should I just sell it and buy a newer 4-stroke? And, would I have to buy a lot of special tools?

I would like to give it a try, but if I sink the cash and then fail, that will suck. I'm just hoping for a good project and more power when it's done. Any input would be great.

2. euro scott

euro scott Junior Member

hard starting is not cause for a rebuild, start with fuel filter, primer bulb, plugs, carb rebuid..personally the engine technology is so far advanced since 78 that i wouldnt waste much time on it.. its worth more in parts than whole.
    you can sell it here http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.