1977 Johnson 70 HP Seahorse

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by strickler0811, Aug 29, 2015.

1. strickler0811

strickler0811 New Member

Hey ya'll I have a quick question about my 1977 Johnson 70 HP Seahorse outboard motor. I am looking to sell it but I have no idea where to start my asking price. The motor runs very well, however the previous owner has spray painted it black, it no longer has the original stickers either. I am new to boats so I'm not sure if that really matters like it would a car from the same time frame. Thanks in advanced.
    Shawn

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

It's not unusual to see a 40 year old engine painted. It does tend to shy some away from it, but if it runs or is generally serviceable, it can be sold. A knowledgeable buyer will check the usual stuff, first inspecting the amount it pees at idle and with the RPM's up a bit. It's also possible to get new decals for this engine, if you want to make it look like it did.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

One of the few outboards from that era that is worth doing up, imo.

4. strickler0811

strickler0811 New Member

What would ya'll suggest as a sale price?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.